Rattling noise from front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coloradocowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rattling sound (metal on metal) coming from my front axle. It feels like the noise is coming more from the driver side. I originally thought it was something with my brakes/rotors because I feel and hear it the most when braking, however I replaced both rotors and cleaned up all the brake mechanics and it still is making the noise. I did a brief diagnostics check on the whole axle when I had it jacked up to replace the rotors and there was nothing noticiably wrong (nothing dragging or no loose bolts). The truck drives totally normal except I get a 4wd overheating message when my tires are spinning and then 4wd performance is reduced. I havent been driving it much except for testing things out, but it seems to be louder at lower speeds. A couple days after the noise started and I replaced the braking components, I found this (Pics below) in my driveway. I live in CO and it was buried in snow so im not postive it has direct correlation with when the noise started but im assuming it does. I think its a chunk from my Diff Adjuster bearing??? So my questions are 1. Would it make sense that this is where the noise is coming from? 2. Is that the adjuster bearing? and 3. Is this something worth fixing myself or should I bring it into a shop? For note, I have a workshop that I can lift the truck and have all the tools I need, However ive never disasembled my axle before. I have a good amount of experience working on my own vehicles but have never done the whole axle. Thanks in advance!

EDIT to original post: I checked both CV's when replacing rotors and nothing seemed wrong. Boots are not torn, joints look good (on transmission and wheel side), they are still holding grease and everything I can see is in tact and functioning properly. Could I be missing something with the CV? After cleaning up braking components to no avail, my next thought was something CV related but there is nothing I can see that looks wrong.

IMG_0626.jpgIMG_0627.jpg

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
You probably have a bad CV joint....

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea check your cv axles you should see a ripped boot or damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357