How to install this bed light bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Today I get the chance of buying this for $75. If I don't like how it looks on my long-bed regular cab, I can at least sell it for more than I bought it for. But if I do like it, how am I going to install it?

q84rsy6.jpg

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There is the proper way to do it, and the 'for looks' method.

To do it properly, you'd need to remove any plastic bedliner, spray in can be left alone.

If it metal on metal, i'd weld it to the bed on the high spots of the ridges, making sure to leave gaps in the low spots so water can run out. If you cant weld, drill holes from below in the high spots and use grade 8 bolts in at least 6 places with washers to keep from ripping through the bed if someone decided to act like a monkey on it.

The for looks method, just drill a hole anywhere and put a couple bolts in it and call it a day.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's a rusted out POS light bar that woulld likely come apart anyway if someone acted like a monkey on it anyway, it's not a rollbar so welding it on is a waste of time and money as are grade 8 bolts.
That big flat piece of metal is going to hold a lot of moisture underneath it and cause you bed to rust.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Everything Gr8bawana says is true. IMO, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it. Good luck reselling it to anyone for close to $75. No offense, but whoever is selling that thing and asking $75 is trying to get some gullible individual with little knowledge to pick it up thinking it's a steal because something like this is expensive and looks similar, just in black.

Black Horse Off Road Roll Bar - Lowest Price & FREE SHIPPING!

If you're dead set on getting it. Do what I said to mount it and at least you won't have it fly out and kill someone if you try to strap something in the bed to it. Although Gr8bawana makes a point I didn't think about. Capillary action between the metal plate and the high spots on the ridges of the bed. You'll want to just grind that plate off and weld the tubes straight to the bed, or keep little feet and bolt those down.

Also, if thats stainless or something other than real steel, don't even bother welding, its just gonna fart all over with a mig gun and look like a hillbilly abortion.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but at least you asked someone about it first.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
It's a rusted out POS light bar that woulld likely come apart anyway if someone acted like a monkey on it anyway, it's not a rollbar so welding it on is a waste of time and money as are grade 8 bolts.
That big flat piece of metal is going to hold a lot of moisture underneath it and cause you bed to rust.

I don't know about all that. I'm sure you could still abuse that thing quite a bit. I'm not saying its anything but trash, but i've seen worse hold up pretty well. Think old 90s chevy bumper hitch. My buddy for ***** and giggles put a little popup on the rusted out bumper (I thought it would've just fallen apart at the tongue weight) but it held, and made it for a couple minutes in his backyard before it fell apart when he hit a 4x4 laying in the dirt.

OP
OP
bluwarguy

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Just saw it in person today and bought it. It's surface rust only, and it's extremely heavy and well constructed. I actually like how it looks on the long bed. It's constructed out of steel, and I'll do what you said to mount it.

YRAmsyC.jpg