Rust on bed fixes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Whats teh cheapest way to fix rust on a bed thats starting?

https://images.craigslist.org/01212_8wpQ8JjhqHg_600x450.jpg

I am looking to maybe buy this truck, everything sounds good but the body rust...How much is it to fix? Can it be sanded down and some sort of sealant put on it then I can buy aftermartket fender flares to attach? I know nothing abiout body work or rust, so please keep that in mind when replying to my probably stupid question. :roflsquared:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thats going to need ground down to see how extensive it is and cut out and a patch panel welded in. To do it mostly correct anyways. Otherwise you can cut it out and run flares but it's not going to stop

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Do you have 5200 cash to spend or are you going small loan? Vast majority of dealers will take much less in cash because they don't have to report it. If paying cash offer 4500 and try to haggle your way up to 5000

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Well I can tell you that the dealer doesn't have near that much invested in it. The truck is worth roughly 6k NADA retail so he has it priced pretty close to what it's worth. If you go drive it and think it's worth 5k, offer him 5k including taxes, fees, and everything. Cash. It's a truck from PA, so check for rust, does have a bad carfax showing an accident as well as odometer issues (just clerical error though so you're good).

Some dealing tactics to remember........from a salesman that's been #1 two years running

Bad Carfax, deducts from retail

Has the Plenum been done? If he can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it has been done he needs to knock $600 off the price minimum.

It has been wrecked - The carfax may say no damage, but a wreck is a wreck, and a carfax is only as good as the information they are sent. You can always ask to have it inspected by a mechanic or body shop and if they say no they know something is wrong with it.

The left side of the drivers seat is ****** up, another 150-200 off.

Honestly it looks like a super clean well cared for truck and he knows that too. He can get what he's asking for fairly easily. Take $5k cash and drive it. If you like it, make an offer of 4500. He'll probably go to 5500 so then ask him to split the difference and do 5k. Worst thing he can say is no and you walk away. Don't be scared to walk away, he knows that a sale is a sale and probably won't let you get far. Its worth 5k, go look at it.

And if he asks where you got your numbers from, be frank and tell him, your budget, and stick to your guns.

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I'm paying straight cash no financing.

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Well I can tell you that the dealer doesn't have near that much invested in it. The truck is worth roughly 6k NADA retail so he has it priced pretty close to what it's worth. If you go drive it and think it's worth 5k, offer him 5k including taxes, fees, and everything. Cash. It's a truck from PA, so check for rust, does have a bad carfax showing an accident as well as odometer issues (just clerical error though so you're good).

Some dealing tactics to remember........from a salesman that's been #1 two years running

Has the Plenum been done? If he can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it has been done he needs to knock $600 off the price minimum.

It has been wrecked - The carfax may say no damage, but a wreck is a wreck, and a carfax is only as good as the information they are sent. You can always ask to have it inspected by a mechanic or body shop and if they say no they know something is wrong with it.

Honestly it looks like a super clean well cared for truck and he knows that too. He can get what he's asking for fairly easily. Take $5k cash and drive it. If you like it, make an offer of 4500. He'll probably go to 5500 so then ask him to split the difference and do 5k. Worst thing he can say is no and you walk away. Don't be scared to walk away, he knows that a sale is a sale and probably won't let you get far. Its worth 5k, go look at it.

And if he asks where you got your numbers from, be frank and tell him, your budget, and stick to your guns.

Yeah I just happened to see that...wrecked and towed. I think I'm gonna pass and Jeep looking, especially since it's in PA and I'm in VA

OP
OP
J

Jgc1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8

Yeah I just happened to see that...wrecked and towed. I think I'm gonna pass and keep looking, especially since it's in PA and I'm in VA

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Any VIN's you have PM them to me and I can run a carfax as well as the books on them to help ya out