My Heat and AC Will only blow on the floor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mookiex4

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Sport 4x4
Engine
318 Magnum
Hello all,

I have an issue and I will describe it in detail below. I did look through my manual and it doesn't touch on anything I am looking for and searching the web doesn't seem to help since I am apparently not phrasing my issue correctly.

1. I have heat and A/C and the fan runs at all speeds. No Problem there.

2.When I turn the truck on I hear a flap shut as soon as the fan kicks on. This noise from the flap directs it to the floor immediatley.

3. No matter what I switch it to I get Heat and A/C on the floor. I have read that the default if there is a vacuum leak is the defrost position.

With this little bit of information I am assuming that a control arm from perhaps a vacuum motor is disconnected. I took the glove box off and found the vacuum motor near the heater core and it appears to be the inside and outside airflow controller. That is all connected anyway.

Can someone help me find the area of my problem? Pictures would also help immensely. If I can find the part that controls the flap that I hear moving on its' own then I feel I can correct the issue. Sometime when I drive fast enough I can hear a little bit of air through the defrosters like the force of air is pushing against the fans pressure.

Thanks all. I hope someone has some help on this and hopefully someone that has experienced it and was able to fix it.

The truck is a 1998 Ram 1500 Truck, 318 and 4x4 sport edition if that matters. In this case I believe they were all cookie cutter and doesn't with exception of the model year.

Thanks,
Mookie:banana-mario:

OP
OP
M

mookiex4

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Sport 4x4
Engine
318 Magnum
I found the HeaterTreator site after searching the forum. Perhaps this is my problem. Are there any other sources for this part. I realize they may have the market cornered, but $25.00 for a small piece of metal? I will buy it if I cannot find something cheaper.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks. I just looked at the thread. It looks complicated. I hope I can figure this one out.

It's not hard as long as your lines aren't busted up like some guys' are. Just a matter of going to the dealer for a couple check valves.