Seatbelt light on at weird times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, this has been a weird since I've owned the truck. The seat belt light has NEVER worked since I've had it, but it will turn on at weird times during cold weather. For instance: I was driving back from the eye doctor today and the light just randomly turned on, stayed on for about a minute, then went out never to come on again.

I always wear my seat belt, but the light is annoying. Everything is plugged up under the seat to my best observances. If I find and unplug that weight sensor, would it keep the light out or turn it on?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think it is a weight sensor I think it's a sensor in the seat belt ratchet itself. A lot of people say that it's pretty random but you could try unplugging the harness on the seat and re plug it. Maybe resetting the computer would fix it too. Not a lot of information out there about it from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i always wear my seat belt with out fail, so i got tired of looking at the light, so i cut the wires to the belt sensor, and put a butt connector on the wires.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't think it is a weight sensor I think it's a sensor in the seat belt ratchet itself. A lot of people say that it's pretty random but you could try unplugging the harness on the seat and re plug it. Maybe resetting the computer would fix it too. Not a lot of information out there about it from what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Computer has been reset countless times and I haven't bothered to look for the connector under the seat yet, but that's next.
Search seatbelt switch, page 703
I'll look it up, thanks, Mark.
i always wear my seat belt with out fail, so i got tired of looking at the light, so i cut the wires to the belt sensor, and put a butt connector on the wires.

lol I may have to do that. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

BeauDuke01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the beautiful thing? didnt cost a thing. and wont ever quit working again.