1994 5.2--5.9 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I'm sure this topic has been covered hundreds of times already but I have not been able to find a definitive list of what is needed on a pre-obd2 truck.

I have a '94 1500 2WD with a 318 automatic that is burning oil and just plain needs to go. Since my long term goal with this truck is to turn it into a street beast, I figure why rebuild the 318 when it will eventually get a boosted 408 anyway?

I plan to buy a remanufactured crate 5.9 to start with and maybe do a few bolt ons like long tubes, throttle body, intake, etc. during the swap. What I really need to know is what do I need to properly swap to a 5.9? I know the pcm is different due to fuel and ignition timing differences but I don't know what else is different. Any input at all is appreciated. :favorites13:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
PCM and tq converter for a 94-95 engine. If you were to buy a jy engine from a 96+ it would be a little different.

As for street beast, hope you're not planning on staying obd1 when you do that otherwise you're going to dump a fortune into it on programming alone.

OP
OP
N

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Well as for tuning with the stroker I know it's not going to be cheap. Either custom engine management or a carburetor style setup with an EFI conversion. Not sure which yet but that's 5+ years down the road still.

As for the 5.9 swap what will swap over from my current setup? I am going to be getting a standard long block and from what I can tell all of the part numbers are the same no matter the application. I have looked up everything from a 94 Ram 5.9 to a Dakota R/T and all part numbers are the same.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well as for tuning with the stroker I know it's not going to be cheap. Either custom engine management or a carburetor style setup with an EFI conversion. Not sure which yet but that's 5+ years down the road still.

As for the 5.9 swap what will swap over from my current setup? I am going to be getting a standard long block and from what I can tell all of the part numbers are the same no matter the application. I have looked up everything from a 94 Ram 5.9 to a Dakota R/T and all part numbers are the same.

Intake manifold and heads are exactly the same. Injectors and all that are the same. Only thing is cam but just stick to the 5.9 cam.