5.2 to 5.9l swap on 01 ram 1500 crank no start now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaySimmons99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hello everyone I am new to this forum I have came here a few times searching for answers in the past and I’m every thankful for the guidance and insight given on here that’s helped me a tremendous amount multiple times in the past.

HOWEVER :( I am currently in a rut with my 1500 so I originally in her was a 5.2 and she finally blew with almost 300K miles on her and to be fair that was my intention as well with her since I had recently purchased a 5.9l block and rebuilt it from the bottom up

It is bone stock let me add that I also replaced every single sensor likewise with the sparkplugs, plug wires, rotor and district and cap, igniton coil, and pickup coil as well.

My 5.2 is a 5 speed NV3500 I converted the swap to the 5.9 I am unsure if it was from a manual or auto but the pilot bushing and tranny bolted up and went in like a glove and it does shift through all gears when I’m playing with it.

However I am at a huge disadvantage here because I am at a crank but no start and I threw starting fluid and gas straight into the damn throttle body and she does not even make a single cough or spurt to even try to crank over completely and run

I have fuel to the fuel rail, my fuel pump whines and kicks on instantaneously, I have spark, I have zero engine codes I have spark from what my computer diagnostics says and even with my spark test light tool grounds are all secure and pushing 12v as well as cranking amps and regular volts all way around.

I was told to get a new ecm for my engine and trans due to the swap but I really don’t want to purchase something that $400+ and that’s not for sure going to solve my problem because there is no refunds and returns on that but I have zero ideas as to what else it could be I’m at a complete loss and would greatly appreciate any help and insight please and thank you to you all that chime in!

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Some wires are different to and from the ecm for the 5.2 to 5.9 swap. Also, line up the Distributor as exactly on the line for #1. These are nonadjustable so the syncing must be set as close to 1 as possible.

OP
OP
J

JaySimmons99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Some wires are different to and from the ecm for the 5.2 to 5.9 swap. Also, line up the Distributor as exactly on the line for #1. These are nonadjustable so the syncing must be set as close to 1 as possible.
So i ordered an ecm would you by any chance have any wiring diagram for this I should be aware of or would the plug and play be fine?

As well me lining up the distributor I installed it when it was bare block so there any way of a sign to tell that I am line of as close as possible when I was looking into it I only went one way with the slot I was under the impression it was all aligned properly from there?

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Sure, I’m out but back Fri. I can send but I think electronic files would be clearer. I think auto zone has them as shop tools…
As for the Synch.
Place #1 at TDC. With valve cover off, make sure you on Comp stroke and both valves closed in the firing position. No such thing as retard or advance. That is all done by ECM.
There is a line on the Dist pick up coil. Or people call it a cam pos sensor. Make sure it’s lined up a best as possible. After if it starts, you’ll need to get it perfect with a scanner. If you have spark from the coil then check the wire to cap. A spark eliminates the Crank sensor. Fuel pressure at the rail eliminates the fuel pump. I’ll check some diagrams too and see what differences there are. Recently, I noticed a couple ground wires were incorrect in the wire bundle compared o the wire schematic for 5.9. But were correct for 5.2 Dakota…. That took a while to find…. Do you hav access to a snap on tester? Lastly, double check you’re not 180* out on the Distributor. Happens. Did you set cranK and cam based on degree or by dots on sprockets?

OP
OP
J

JaySimmons99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sure, I’m out but back Fri. I can send but I think electronic files would be clearer. I think auto zone has them as shop tools…
As for the Synch.
Place #1 at TDC. With valve cover off, make sure you on Comp stroke and both valves closed in the firing position. No such thing as retard or advance. That is all done by ECM.
There is a line on the Dist pick up coil. Or people call it a cam pos sensor. Make sure it’s lined up a best as possible. After if it starts, you’ll need to get it perfect with a scanner. If you have spark from the coil then check the wire to cap. A spark eliminates the Crank sensor. Fuel pressure at the rail eliminates the fuel pump. I’ll check some diagrams too and see what differences there are. Recently, I noticed a couple ground wires were incorrect in the wire bundle compared o the wire schematic for 5.9. But were correct for 5.2 Dakota…. That took a while to find…. Do you hav access to a snap on tester? Lastly, double check you’re not 180* out on the Distributor. Happens. Did you set cranK and cam based on degree or by dots on sprockets?
So double checked all ground swapped the ecm and still nothing still doesn’t even try to start with starting fluid and gasoline thrown into the TB just continued on cranking double checked everything again too for distributor wires, crank sensor you name it still nothing

garyfattmann101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 1997, 1998
Engine
are you sure the injectors are spraying? if u have spark, and gas, even if out of time a bit, it should cough and stumble. gas to rail does not mean the injectors are working. is your spark to the plugs? if wont fire with ether sounds like to spark to cylinders absent. I have had trouble with the crap chinese crank sensors from the parts sore. I use only mopar sensors for that reason.

OP
OP
J

JaySimmons99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
are you sure the injectors are spraying? if u have spark, and gas, even if out of time a bit, it should cough and stumble. gas to rail does not mean the injectors are working. is your spark to the plugs? if wont fire with ether sounds like to spark to cylinders absent. I have had trouble with the crap chinese crank sensors from the parts sore. I use only mopar sensors for that reason.
Yes I have spark and no injectors do not spray they have zero pulse I’m still stumped at this situation and nothing I used was cheap Chinese knock offs unfortunately so those are already knocked off the possibility list :/