5.2 magnum engine build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
hello all! i have a 2001 ram with the 5.2. its a basic bolt-on engine. has 130k with JEGS off-road y pipe, 14x3 air filter, Hughes plenum repair kit, SCT Tuning by Flying Ryan.

its time for more power! i picked up another 5.2 out of a 2000 that had 86k on it with a cracked head. i completely disassembled the engine to get it ready for machine work. after checking the bores, it actually falls within spec for not needing bored. BUT should i bore anyway?

im looking to replace everything. but not go too extreme. this is my first time doing a build like this. (never had to make decisions on what part before, but have built other engines)

this truck is just going to be for fun, do a little towing, basically a pavement princess. i need a little advice when it comes to a cam, heads, intake, pistons, etc. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

progress pics will be posted!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Myself, i would probably do a 0.030 over bore and run factory crank and rods with the .030 over pistons I'd just go cast like the factory. Factory bottom end and actually handle a very respectable amount of power, especially with Ryan doing the tuning.

53mm or 52x55mm throttle body, airgap from hughes, EQ heads from Jegs (assembled unless you want porting and valve work done), nice set of headers with a 3" exhaust, adjustable roller rockers and finally a cam suggested by a cam company based on everything else going into it and what you want out if it

OP
OP
B

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
dang! your full of good info! i was looking for some pistons that would bump up the compression ratio a little. whats a good compression ratio to aim for with these engines?

i saw alot of good things about those EQ heads. im not going to crazy, so im not going to have them ported. what are some adjustable roller rockers? like the harland sharp 1.7s?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Flat top pistons should put around 9.5-ish:1 range on conpression. Or if you were willing to double the cost of your heads Edelbrock aluminum heads put you in about the 10.2:1 range. They'd require 3/8 stud mount rockers.

As for rockers, 1.6 or 1.7 will both be good but will affect cam choice and must be addressed when dealing with cam company.

OP
OP
B

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
i definitely dont think ill be going with the aluminum heads. but im hoping to get the block out to the machine shop this weekend.

what kind of horsepower can the stock cast bottom end handle? i was really going to go with forged pistons, but do i really need to?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well FlyinRyan tuned one truck that with those aluminum heads, a 58mm tb, giant cam and 10psi from a procharger laid 525hp to the wheels and over 640ft/lbs on factory bottom end

OP
OP
B

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
thats insane! so the bottom end is probably capable of handling just over 600hp? thats more than enough for me haha.
any piston brands stand out to be better than the rest for a reasonable price?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
That is something i don't have much of an opinion on I'm afraid. My 360 is at 174k and going strong. So strong that hopefully within the next year it'll be supercharged

OP
OP
B

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
i guess its one of those things to figure out on my own! ill see what the guy at AMS thinks. he does a pile of engines for local dirt track cars, and alot of my friends who have muscle cars.

thats awesome bud! mustve been very well taken care of!! i know when i did the plenum repair, when the plenum came off, there was so much carbon, i couldnt even believe it! it took about 45mins just to clean up the carbon!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
i guess its one of those things to figure out on my own! ill see what the guy at AMS thinks. he does a pile of engines for local dirt track cars, and alot of my friends who have muscle cars.
That's probably a good route to go. At the very least it'll give you industry names

thats awesome bud! mustve been very well taken care of!! i know when i did the plenum repair, when the plenum came off, there was so much carbon, i couldnt even believe it! it took about 45mins just to clean up the carbon!

Actually quite the opposite. Dad bought er in 03 with 20k and i inherited in '11 with 106k. From 20 to 106 it was worked hard and pulled 10,000lb loads many times and he beat the hell out of it on quad trails. I run the hell out of it, added power, mud bog and hook it to a sled lol

OP
OP
B

backwoods_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
well a little update for now. got the engine ready to come out so i can pressure wash and then do all the prep work and P0R15 the chassis.

still didnt take my block out to the machine shop. guess i wanted to have more complete before trying to build an engine.

but i did order new leaf springs and my rough country 5" lift kit. anyone know what size brake lines are on these trucks? im going to run all stainless lines.