5.9 v8 losing power when it gets warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattx15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i pull a trailer a lot roughly 5000 lbs enclosed vnose with my 2000 dodge ram 1500 and i notice when i first start off in the morning and go to work my truck feels like it has plenty of power on the highway i can run whatever speed i want without dropping to 3rd, however on my way home when i drive through city traffic first then get on the highway i cant seem to hold above 60 without shifting out of over drive, no problems noticed empty, anyone know what might be the problem? is my fan clutch sticking or something? i couldnt hear it making extra noise so i dont know

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
For one, don't pull with 4th turned on. Easy way to burn up a gear. At least don't engage it until you're up to speed and cruising.

As for the warmed up issue i recommend 3 things:
1.plenum fox if it hasn't been done
2. Tune up with new cap and rotor and factory copper plugs or the equivalent in other brands (myself i like ngk bkr6e)
3. Move your intake temp sensor to the intake box tube. These trucks have it in the intake manifold (or kegger as most call it) and the cast aluminum causes it to heat soak and read 150 degrees intake temps pretty much regardless of outside temp or things done to the engine

OP
OP
Mattx15

Mattx15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For one, don't pull with 4th turned on. Easy way to burn up a gear. At least don't engage it until you're up to speed and cruising.

As for the warmed up issue i recommend 3 things:
1.plenum fox if it hasn't been done
2. Tune up with new cap and rotor and factory copper plugs or the equivalent in other brands (myself i like ngk bkr6e)
3. Move your intake temp sensor to the intake box tube. These trucks have it in the intake manifold (or kegger as most call it) and the cast aluminum causes it to heat soak and read 150 degrees intake temps pretty much regardless of outside temp or things done to the engine

so ive heard a liitle about the plenum gasket but does that drag your power down when it goes? how hard is it to fix it yourself? and what im trying to say about towing is when the engine starts working hard when i get up to speed and shift into over drive say at 65mph with a 5000 lb load that 360 should have plenty of power to keep it there on flat ground but it just cant do it, im not trying to get to speed in overdrive just trying to maintain it which that truck used to be able to do perfectly fine had it in the family since brand new

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Not necessarily. Overdrive is a really high gear at 0.69:1 and dodge recommends not using when you're towing period.

Plenum gasket is under the intake manifold. Not hard if you're mechanically inclined, half days work for a first timer usually. Plenum gasket causes the truck to burn oil from the lifter valley.

OP
OP
Mattx15

Mattx15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not necessarily. Overdrive is a really high gear at 0.69:1 and dodge recommends not using when you're towing period.

Plenum gasket is under the intake manifold. Not hard if you're mechanically inclined, half days work for a first timer usually. Plenum gasket causes the truck to burn oil from the lifter valley.

so thats probably my oil burning problem then and the power maybe? i just assumed all 5.9s were gonna burn oil and nothing you can do about it, i can burn bout a quart sometimes on a long nonstop trip 1500 miles ish. so should i replace lifters while im at it then? the truck only has 120000 on it?

chrisking318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum Turbo
Do you read higher temps on the gauge?