5.9 v8 swap engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, new to the group. I did a 5.2 5.9 swap recently with a wrecking yard motor in my 01. After about 1000km (yuuup. I'm canadian) the oil showed major signs of metal and lifter noise. Ok no big deal. I went with a remanufactured motor from a reputable builder for the second motor. 1000km, wiped the bearings out of the motor. After getting my motor back from warranty, I'm about 400km into it and pulled the filter and found trace amounts of metal in it. As of now it is not an oil pressure issue. Pressures are good. Slight lifter noise when real hot. Now, before I rip apart another motor I need some ideas here. I know 360s are externally balanced. The harmonic and flexplate are from a 96 360. I've seen too many conflicting arguments about having to change the torque converter when you do this swap. Does anyone know for sure? Cuz right about now it seems like it would make sense if something was out of balance. Also, Anyone hear of oil pickups cracking in these engines? ANY info is appeciated. Thx.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Are you breaking the engines in or going turn key and go?

96+ the converters aren't weighted, flexplate is. 5.2 flexplate won't balance with a 5.9

OP
OP
C

Cadillacman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did break in procedure. Flexplate and balancer from a 96 360. Is the torque converter from 01 going to be an issue?