Another newbie wondering about transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayWally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well this is my first time posting in this (or any) forum so I apologize if this is a redundant thread for you guys. I've been a die-hard Ford guy my whole life, but after owning and driving and then (sadly) reselling a 2nd gen 1500 my mind has been opened a little. Now I'm in the process of saving for a nicer 2nd gen (cause there's just something about the body style that I can't get enough of) and of course I have to spend the meantime planning a starter build. I'm hoping for 400-450hp out of a nice intake, tuner, headers, and cat-back system and I'm wondering what I should do to the transmission to accomplish that safely and reliably. I plan to have my next truck for a good long time and I'm sure I'll add more to it over the years which will naturally require additional mods to the transmission but this is just to start off with. Anyhow I'm sure this is a very commonly asked question but I hope y'all with bear with the new guy long enough to share some wisdom. Thanks and I look forward to talking with you guys.

Also just wanted to add that I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Like I said I'm new to forums but if it is just let me know and I'll be glad to post it elsewhere. Thanks!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
First Welcome to RF!

Well those parts you have listed for mods will get you closer to 275-300 hp maybe. To get the numbers you are looking for you will have to go into the motor and do some major work to it, add a set of ported heads to that list as well. Mopar Hp does not come cheap.

For tranny mods and parts I would look at Patc web site and see what they offer, give them a call as well.

OP
OP
J

JayWally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I need to do a little more research on my end. Well due to a low budget I'm going to be limited to those basic mods for a while because I also want to do a few cosmetic mods. Do you think any work would need to be done to safely do 275-300hp? Coming from a Ford-loving family I always heard a lot about how sucky the 2nd gen Dodge transmissions were, so now that I am getting one I get nervous when I start thinking about adding power lol. This is also going to be a daily driver so I'm looking for a solid all around build, as well as some power. Thanks again for the help!