Cannot mate Tranny With Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truemagnum15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
My husband is having difficulties mating his tranny to his engine in a 1999 Dodge Ram V8 5.9L engine. He says he does not know why it will not mate up.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pntyrmvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This goes in a million directions very quickly.

Have hubs lay out what he's done so far. Someone here will bail him out.

And tell him to lay off the beer until it moves under its own power again.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My husband is having difficulties mating his tranny to his engine in a 1999 Dodge Ram V8 5.9L engine. He says he does not know why it will not mate up.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Manual or automatic. If manual, usually the reason is the clutch splines are not lined up well enough for the front shaft of the tranny to pass. Be sure they are correct and centered. If he replaced the bushing in the crankshaft, be sure the shaft will slide into it also. It could be distorted from installation or the wrong size to start with.

If auto, one problem can be the torque converter is not seated deep enough on the input shaft. Usually you need to push the converter on while turning it. Most times it will take a couple of clicks to indicate everything is correctly engaged.

One thing I generally do is take a couple of long bolts that match the tranny bolt thread thread, cut the heads off, grind a slot in the end you just cutoff and screw them into the upper holes. That will guide the trans straight on to the engine. When it's on just screw the bolts out with a flat blade screwdriver. Just be cautious, as too much jerking and twisting could crack a tranny mounting ear but it's a good tip for the calmer installer.

Not much else I can think of currently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Truemagnum15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thank you for the helpful advice. The trouble was the torque converter. My husband does not drink, but maybe he should start lol