Clutch makes a popping noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panteraboy1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Hello there.
I have a 95 cummins with the nv4500 5speed. I never use the first gear because of its dead slow attributes lol. I just start from 2nd and go. Well sometimes as I'm gaining speed in 2nd and go to shift to 3rd the clutch makes a popping noise as it disengages. Sometimes it'll even pop when it engages in 3rd too. The only way I can keep it from popping is to rev match the motor but thats a little hard to do when I'm trying take off in a hurry. What could be the problem? The noise sounds like metal hitting metal.

Thanks!

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
does it seem to shift hard or grind at all? could be the third gear synchronizer startin to go..or maybe a throwout bearin? How olds the clutch in it?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Might be time to drop the transmission and take a look. All we can do is guess...

It could be a million different things going wrong inside the bellhousing so why guess at just drop the transmission and inspect everything. Like in my case I broke the hub of my clutch disc. Another might be a bad throwout bearing / pilot bearing but who knows till you look...

OP
OP
P

Panteraboy1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
There's no grinding but when it does make the popping noise the truck jerks a bit. It's almost the kind of jerk like when you quickly let off the throttle while in gear. Feels like there's slack in the gears. It doesn't do it all the time, just when I try to quickly take off and shift from 2nd to 3rd (keep in mind that I take off from 2nd). There's no grinding or popping out of gear. I don't know when the clutch was last changed, the truck has almost 190k miles but the clutch feels pretty tight so I suspect it was replaced not too long ago. Do you think maybe it's just a cheapo clutch?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Do you think maybe it's just a cheapo clutch?

Won't know anything till you drop the trans and look sad to say... I can theorize all day long on different failures or problems you might have but won't change the fact you got to drop the trans and look. Even if its a trans internal problem you'll still need to drop it so you can open in up and look.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
^^ I agree. your best bet is to just drop the tranny and take a look at the clutch...maybe even throw a new one in it while its apart.