Just read the thread on noise canceling. My truck makes a stuttering noise when the windows are down above 30mph.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikerino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I got my truck I can't put the windows down while driving. No mods to the sound system. Its a 2019 Longhorn 1500. The truck makes a stuttering noise like feedback when I am driving. Pretty sure this is the ANC system. I was thinking of adding a switch to shut off the microphones because I am about to add tires that are expected to make some noise. Any thoughts about:
1. Is this the ANC causing the feedback noise?
2. Is the ANC going to cancel out the louder tire noise?
3. Is the switch idea going to work? Is there a better way to be able to disable ANC sometimes?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It is caused by wind and air pressure. Does it happen with both windows down. Does it happen if you roll the windows down all the way. Usually it is worse with rear windows down, not so noticeable on the fronts. Has never had anything to do with the noise cancellation. The Plastic window rain guards will often reduce this effect.

1707145012733.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mikerino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the answers to your questions, too cold to roll them down right now. Thank you for the great info.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Albertan's shopping at Costco after it zoomed up to 20F, it had been -50F earlier in the week. I would be opening the windows and checking out what sounds I got.:D

1707235590737.jpeg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ready? It's officially termed the Helmholtz Resonance. When you open just one window in your vehicle the air inside your car thumps up against the faster-moving air outside the window. The two bodies of air compress and decompress over and over again, causing small wind vortexes that create that loud thumping sound. You can fix it by cracking another window. :33:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Wind Buffeting

Wind buffeting can be described as the perception of pressure on the ears or a helicopter-type sound in the ears. Your vehicle may exhibit wind buffeting with the windows down, or the sunroof (if equipped) in certain open or partially open positions. This is a normal occurrence and can be minimized. If the buffeting occurs with the rear windows open, open the front and rear windows together to minimize the buffeting. If the buffeting occurs with the sunroof open, adjust the sunroof opening to minimize the buffeting or open any window.

If the OP would have read the manual, he would have realized there is no "design flaw."

This was posted by Hanover Fiste on Nov. 25 2020.
Manual refers to it as "helicopter" sound.

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Since I got my truck I can't put the windows down while driving. No mods to the sound system. Its a 2019 Longhorn 1500. The truck makes a stuttering noise like feedback when I am driving. Pretty sure this is the ANC system. I was thinking of adding a switch to shut off the microphones because I am about to add tires that are expected to make some noise. Any thoughts about:
1. Is this the ANC causing the feedback noise?
2. Is the ANC going to cancel out the louder tire noise?
3. Is the switch idea going to work? Is there a better way to be able to disable ANC sometimes?
It has nothing to do with the ANC. The cool term for this is called Helmholtz Resonance. Most vehicles experience this to some degree or another but 5th gen Ram 1500 is the worst I have ever experienced. It literally sounds as if my truck is going to shake apart or cause the dreaded rear window leak... :guile-1: