Coolant sensor issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so here's a thing... Several months back while changing my thermostat I decided in a fit of insanity to be proactive and change the 18 yo coolant temp sensor. I would say it's a good thing because the sensor broke in half when I took it out. I went to O'Reilly's and got a new one that proved to be wrong. I went back and got one that looked like it was right and put it in only to find out that it didn't work either. Ok, says I. let it go for another day. I had enough to do and I only drive it a few miles a day anyway to work and home. My thought was I put the sensor plug on backwards. I did see the gauge go up once a couple weeks ago but then it went back down never to be seen again.

So while I was getting ready to do the valve cover gaskets I went ahead and reversed the plug. The needle quickly shot over to the right and stayed there. I put it back the way I had it and again nothing.

Since I know I am getting current it can't be the plug, so what might it be?

Any thoughts?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The sensor is a negative temperature coefficient sensor. As temperature rises resistance decreased and vise vera. Since this is a two wire sensor, it has a sensor negative and sensor positive, both go to the PCM. The PCM sends a 5v signal on the tan/black wire, and sensor negative on the black/light blue wire.

What happens is the resistance of the sensor when the engine is cold, is high. So when the PCM reads the voltage/current on the sensor negative wire, there is very little there as the high resistance of the temperature sensor is preventing flow. Once the engine warms up, the resistance decreases and voltage/current on the sensor negative increases.

Sounds like a dud sensor. Cheap parts like these often have high DOA rates.

Unles this reads the sensor like the cummins do and monitor the current flow through the positive wire, in which case grounding the positive to the block should bring the gauge all the way right. If it does do that when you touch the positive wire to the block, well, you still have a bad sensor.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Yeah I went through 2 coolant temp sensors before my third worked. Ended up getting the more expensive lifetime warranty sensor and it worked.