Ecodiesel Coolant temp sensor issue P0128

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Liter ecodiesel
Hey there,

So I’m at a loss I’m sure it’s a simple fix and honestly haven’t asked my mechanic to look at it yet. He did put in a new sensor before.

1-2 years ago I started getting a check engine light for code P0128 which is Coolant Temperature Sensor error or needs to be replaced. (Please excuse my lack of technical terminology). I bought an Oreillys stocked sensor and my mechanic replaced it after doing a coolant flush. It was fine for a couple thousand miles then tripped my check engine light again; I use a basic scan tool every time it comes on and it’s P0128. Truck is running fine and at normal temps always.
I drove it for a week and the check engine light (CEL) shut off by itself. A month later it coming on and off I finally bought another coolant sensor from a different auto store and tried that and same issue for a few months. I spoke with the techs at the store and they thought maybe the specs between off brand and mopar were somewhat different tripping my CEL so I bought a mopar and lone behold 1k into that 3rd sensor it’s still tripping. I now delete my CEL when it comes on because it bugs me and I don’t want to have a real CEL issue come up and miss it. I have a few uneducated guesses of what to try but my ideas are process of elimination. I’ve thought maybe replace the Coolant gauge, or wiring harness. Beyond those two I wouldn’t know what else to look at. Also I’m not sure if any of this wiring would go to a fuse, maybe be a fuse?

Thoughts on what this is?

Speaking of fuses; sometimes I start my truck and my heated seats will turn on for a second then right back off. What I do is restart the truck and it all resets and the heated seats work. Is this a fuse issue?

Scott
The wannabe mechanic
Really I just like to fix my own crap.

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 3