Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L
So.... since I have no catalytic converter, Ive been think of just getting a new exhaust system, I had a true dual exhaust system in my first truck which was a 1977 Chevy C-20... I was able to do so since the gas tanks where on the outside of the frame and could run a H pipe... before I go around town to different shops to get prices and not look like a complete dummy, is it even possible with all the newer trucks, since they all got smart and put the gas tank inside the frame work...???

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Me personally I'd run a 2 into 1 with a single 3" exhaust. That is what I did on my first 97 ram. As for your CAT being gone. Might want to reconsider putting it back on as your computer will screw with your motor.

fonzyn75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is possible it just will be very tight most people just get a single in dual out muffler and run dual tailpipes.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
If you want an exhaust system that will give you more power and better fuel economy, Then DO NOT go with a single muffler. The faster you flow the exhaust out of an engine, the more power and fuel economy you will make. The best possible exhaust system is one where the exhaust dosen't have to go through any chambers, (such as in a catalytic converter or most mufflers) and runs through pipes with a large enough diameter to get a good flow, but still small enough to increase the velocity of the exhaust as it travels through. Most people naturally assume bigger is better, so they go for big 2.5 or 3" pipe. You need to consider how much horsepower the engine makes, whether or not it's boosted, etc. For most street applications, 2" or 2.25" pipe, either by itsself, or using chamberless mufflers such as glasspacks or magnaflow single chamber mufflers, works best, because the pipe is narrow enough that the exhaust is slightly compressed as it exits the header or manifold, and enters the pipe, which increases the velocity of each exhaust pulse as it moves down the pipe. This in turn creates a slight negative pressure wave behind each pulse as it accelerates down the pipe, which helps pull the spent gasses from the cylinder as the exhaust valve opens. Exhaust dosen't burn, so any exhaust gasses that don't exit the cylinder (as when backpressure is present) and mix with the fresh air fuel mixture cause a slower, less complete fuel burn, which in turn cause horsepower and fuel economy to suffer.
So you're thinking, so if you want to get the exhaust out faster, why not use the biggest pipe you can find? As the gasses move into a larger diameter pipe, the flow is actually slowed down as the gasses expand to fill the larger pipe. The same thing happens when you have anything in the flow path, such as a catalytic converter, or muffler with chambers that change the direction and speed of the exhaust flow, the pulses slow and begin to collide with each other, then slow down as they exit the system. Think of what happens when fast moving lanes on a freeway move into a construction zone and are diverted into a single lane where the cars suddenly slow down, it causes a chain reaction and the traffic begins to back up as all the cars slow down.
Not everyone wants their car or truck to roar like a harley davidson however, so for those that want the performance without all the extra noise, I always wholeheartedly recommend glasspacks. Sure, you can make an exhaust loud and crackly with glasspacks, but most folks don't realize that the longer glasspack you use, the more it quiets the exhaust noise. Whereas a short 14" glasspack will be loud and raspy, a really long 28 or 30 incher will have a much more quiet, mellow tone. And they are a good cheap alternative to chambered mufflers when you want a free flowing exhaust. A glasspack is nothing more than a perforated tube the same diameter as your exhaust pipe with fiberglass sound absorbing material wrapped around it between the inner tube and the shell. The exhaust gasses pass straight through from one end to the other without changing direction or flow rate, the same as in most racing mufflers.
Hope that helps clarify things a bit without getting too technical
Dave

Big Red Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pre-owner of my truck modified my exhaust from single to a true duals, flowmasters are turned onside side by side with twin exits, I was thinking bout taking the tail pipes and having them exit before the rear tire like some SRT10s

95360magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My 95 had no cat when i got it a runs better and gets better mileage with my magnaflow race high flow cat than it did without it

sent from the interwebs powered by beer and gasoline

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got true duals on my 98 with no problems. Like said it is a little tight since both pipes have to run down one side but its not really a problem. I had magnaflow high flow cats installed along with flowmaster super 44's and I love the sound of it. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with

95360magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I just redid my whole exhaust on my truck, i did longtubes, 2 1/2 from headers, then used a new body style camaro off road x pipe with my cats, and two super 44s turned vertically, truck runs amazing with the x pipe in it,

sent from the interwebs powered by beer and gasoline