Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Can a 96 5.2 be replaced with a 5.9 from a 97 ? if so are there any complications ?

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Where can I find the engine number on the 5.9, see I was given this engine as pay for a job I did 6 months ago and dont really know what I have, I have been trying to sell this engine on craigslist for the last 3 days and I have many people asking me what it will fit, this engine was suppose to be able to fit a 97 dodge ram 1500 extra cab, it is a gasoline engine and some people are asking me where the turbo is...I dont think it is a turbo model, I have read a little into this dodge thing and the only turbos I have found are on the cummins diesel models, I am only asking 700 for this engine which was pulled from an existing truck from which I was told only had 110 k miles on it, but I dont know what year the engine was pulled from what year truck...any help on this ?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Should be 13 characters on the lower right of the block above the oil pan gasket surface.

In your case it would read
7 (year 1997) M or T or something (location of manufactur) 360 (engine size) for numbers ie 0205 (February 5th or whatever date it was manufactured on) and lastly 4 numbers for the serial number

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
ok, I think I found the number but what does it mean? these are the numbers : 7NK3602827149

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
7: 1997
NK: build location
360: displacement
The rest is build date and serial number. 28th of Feb

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I think I found out where it was built.....after some research i think NK is Toluca...where ever that is... thanks for your help...btw how do I post pictures on this site...i am new as you can see and I have doing alot of research and I think I may just build me a dodge truck in the future

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
In the advanced reply, there's a button that looks like a paperclip. You can also do hyperlinks with the globe/paperclip button

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ok so I cant sell this engine, the previous owner called me and said if I want the rest of the truck I could have it for nothing, she just wants it out of her yard, So I guess I will change out the engine in this truck to the one I have, is there anything I should take note about this Dodge truck, and also is there a better cam to put into this engine for a little more kick? or better tricks to make it better?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Crane makes a couple pretty nice "torque" cams. I think that their 2020 grind (.434/.458 lift and 194/204 duration at .050") combined with 1.7 Harland Sharps would work pretty sweet and would generate ass-busting amounts of torque in the low range. It seems however that this cams very shallow duration will raise the dynamic compression ratio to rather high levels, even with the factory dish pistons. I figure that you'll need a good tune to keep things stable.

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Quick question....did they change body panels like doors size and fenders ? and what years will fit my 97 truck, it is the extracab with the short door behind the drivers door

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nope. Only real differences are the door corners based on cab configuration and 99+ sport fenders have a larger opening behind the headlight

OP
OP
J

Johnnybgoood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Great , because this free truck the drivers door drops about 2 inches when opened, and the inside door jamb on the door is completely wrecked