Engine Swap or 360 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mason4488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I am wanting to get more power out of my 98 Dodge Ram 1500. The 5.9 doesn't have the horsepower or torque that I am wanting. Has anyone done any engine swaps. What are some problems I would run into, other than than having to upgrade the power train? Should I go with a bigger engine or rebuild the factory 5.9 to get max power out of it.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I am wanting to get more power out of my 98 Dodge Ram 1500. The 5.9 doesn't have the horsepower or torque that I am wanting. Has anyone done any engine swaps. What are some problems I would run into, other than than having to upgrade the power train? Should I go with a bigger engine or rebuild the factory 5.9 to get max power out of it.

All depends on budget.

If you daily the truck, I'd say get a junkyard engine block to build unless you can afford to not drive during a build. There is no "bigger engine", just more built or stroked. Any 5.2 or 5.9 will drop in.

You can try building the engine inside the truck but that's a good bit of work. To get the "max power" out of the engine - well it's an opinion. I personally think strokers are the best option for N/A. If you want to go boosted you're going to need forged internals to do it reliably. I think you can run low boost on the stock internals. Not my area of experience.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All depends on budget.

If you daily the truck, I'd say get a junkyard engine block to build unless you can afford to not drive during a build. There is no "bigger engine", just more built or stroked. Any 5.2 or 5.9 will drop in.

You can try building the engine inside the truck but that's a good bit of work. To get the "max power" out of the engine - well it's an opinion. I personally think strokers are the best option for N/A. If you want to go boosted you're going to need forged internals to do it reliably. I think you can run low boost on the stock internals. Not my area of experience.

You can safely boost on stock bottom end to 15 psi. After that the Pistons explode. The valve train is another story and would require at least some modifications to make any serious improvements in power.
As far as engine swaps go op: it is possible to swap a hemi into these trucks but it is a very tedious and custom job. I've only ever seen two trucks with hemi swapped and both required significant modification to work right. A **** ton of people always say that they're working on a 1500 cummins swap (this was also me at one point) but honestly, most of these people don't realize the amount of work it takes to reliably build a 1/2 ton cummins. You'll have just as much if not more money in a cummins swap than you would for a hemi swap and you get less power for it.
You could always swap in an ls motor. But if you do, don't come on this forum. We're Chevy haters around here.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
+1 to junkyard motor.

My opinion: junkyard motor, tear it down and bore it .30 over. Stock crank and pistons if you wanna save money or forged pistons. EQ heads with good strong springs. M1 or airgap intake. 53x55mm tb. #39 cobra mustang injectors. Custom headers spooling a 7.3PS turbo for 10psi. 7.3 diesel turbo is actually really popular with the f302/f351/c350 guys because apparently it makes good low boost without a lot of lag and if you're getting really really serious CAN push more. Tune via SCT and Ryan

7.3 turbo also whistles a lot and sounds amazing lol

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Or gears and then decide for the engine after that..actually start with a full engine tune up and see what you need or have to work on if you haven't yet.

Sent from the howitzer

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha and just max out his speed...probably more like 4.10 or 4.56 depending on his tire size and driving habits

Sent from the howitzer