Erratic Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
https://youtu.be/aIQ8JlTzVrs

I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2 318 automatic 4x4. About once a week, the truck will go into a spell where it has erratic throttle. In the video the truck is idling, and I very lightly tap the gas pedal just enough for it to even realize I pushed it, and the RPMS jump up to nearly 2,000. I also get a surging sound (similar to a vacuum leak) when I hit the gas. I highly doubt it's a vacuum leak though, since I only have the issue occasionally.

I've shown this to a few really good mechanics in the area and they have no answers. It doesn't just do it when the truck is cold. It will do it until it's shut off (no matter the temp or run time). It's done over an an hour and a half trip before.

Codes on the truck right now:

P0031: Oxygen sensor (replaced a week ago)
P0037: Oxygen sensor (replaced a week ago)
P1899: Neutral Safety Switch

Any ideas as to what it could be?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm looking at a video of an engine smoothly revving up and coming back down. Mine does the same thing, barely touch the throttle and it shoots up to 2Krpm, thats normal. Erratic idle would be more along the lines of never staying at one rpm with A/C and all other electrical loads off.

The air sound could be coming from the air hat on the throttle body not seating right. Just pull the cover for the air filter (also called an air hat by some of us) and check the gasket. You can also just remove it all together and test to see if the sucking noise it gone. Otherwise, stick your head in the engine bay and rev it up from there.

I would say nothing is wrong from what I can tell in the short video.

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
https://youtu.be/PQlfwZ3rEl4

Apparently I didn't explain myself very well. Let me try again.

In the video I just took this is normal operation of the throttle, it's acting fine today. In this video I very lightly tap the throttle twice (at the same pressure as in the first video).

However, in the first video the throttle jumps up to 2,000 RPMS There is a drastic difference there and it's nearly caused some accidents, in all seriousness, so it's pretty a pretty serious issue.