Hughes f1 airgap reviews wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Hi guys, new member here, I introduced myself in the introduction section and loaded pics in the members ride section

My first post here in the "nitty gritty" forum

I have alot done to my truck, but im eyeballing this hughes f1 airgap

want to get some honest reviews on it from people who have it.

Mileage doesnt concern me as my truck is a weekend warrior.

More interested in the performace/driveability gains.

if you have one on your truck id love to hear from you

i think it will goes nice with my sct tuner and 4.56 gears and all the other items ive done

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There is a very limited number of people using the F1 here on RF, so don't expect to many responses. Me I perfer and use the Mopar M1 intake made for our motors. Both intakes like some basic mods to help complement them, bolting one on a stock motor will work but you will have a small amount of lower tq disappear.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Going on what I know:
Install can be a bit of a pain with regards to fuel rails not always fitting correctly from truck to truck and there is no port for the IAT sensor. Those are the issues.

The Airgap responds very well to other supporting mods and won't let you run out of air like the stock kegger. The power band is moved up to midrange and higher RPM with this intake, but simply due to to the nature of the Magnum engine, there is still plenty of low end torque available, but passing power on the highway is most definitely increased.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
well i have alot of mods that should help out

on other forums ive read people say good things

I really want to hear from someone who has one on their truck and say "yes this thing is awesome" or " i wish i went with this instead of the hughes"

but everything ive read so far, i have not seen anything negative about it....some say its kinda a pain to install,. but otherwise good reviews
:patriot::favorites37:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well i have alot of mods that should help out

on other forums ive read people say good things

I really want to hear from someone who has one on their truck and say "yes this thing is awesome" or " i wish i went with this instead of the hughes"

but everything ive read so far, i have not seen anything negative about it....some say its kinda a pain to install,. but otherwise good reviews
:patriot::favorites37:

Myself id pick the Mopar M1 over the F1 anyday. Hughes F1 is a carb intake converted to MPI, Mopar M1 comes built for MPI. Hughes also Ive heard of nothing but install issues, as DD94 said. Seems easier to me to just buy the intake thats properly built for the motor and not have to screw with it to get it to work.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
well im going to be the guinea pig i guess and order the hughes kit. The M1 looks nice, and id love to keep it ma mopar, but on another dodge forum i was emailing a guy that did it to his truck....he said the results were incredible (comparing to his stock truck before)

i figure with a sct tuner and 4.56 gears....im not worried about loosing low end...more just a stronger middle

my truck is a dog from 2500 to 3500

it feels like it wants to haul a$$, but it feels like there is a parachute behind me!

i think it just wants more air in the motor

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
well im going to be the guinea pig i guess and order the hughes kit. The M1 looks nice, and id love to keep it ma mopar, but on another dodge forum i was emailing a guy that did it to his truck....he said the results were incredible (comparing to his stock truck before)

i figure with a sct tuner and 4.56 gears....im not worried about loosing low end...more just a stronger middle

my truck is a dog from 2500 to 3500

it feels like it wants to haul a$$, but it feels like there is a parachute behind me!

i think it just wants more air in the motor
For me it's 3500 upward, but I also have 3.55s. My truck is a rocket until I hit that magical 3500 rpm barrier. :hahano:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
My 2c on this is that the M1 outperforms the Hughes F1 big time. I have been on the forums for over 6 years and have dealt with and helped many a person with their intake choice. Some have gone with the F1 and most have had issues with it, one almost burned his truck to the ground because of the hinky cross-over fuel line that Hughes uses.

You want to wake up your motor install a good camshaft.

What are your current mods to your motor?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2c on this is that the M1 outperforms the Hughes F1 big time. I have been on the forums for over 6 years and have dealt with and helped many a person with their intake choice. Some have gone with the F1 and most have had issues with it, one almost burned his truck to the ground because of the hinky cross-over fuel line that Hughes uses.

You want to wake up your motor install a good camshaft.

What are your current mods to your motor?

Merc, said he has an SCT tuner and 4.56 gears as mods.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes I saw that in his post I am wondering what his other mods are.

"i think it will goes nice with my sct tuner and 4.56 gears and all the other items ive done"

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes I saw that in his post I am wondering what his other mods are.

"i think it will goes nice with my sct tuner and 4.56 gears and all the other items ive done"

I didnt see he had said hed done more? In another thread? OP? Lol.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hi guys, new member here, I introduced myself in the introduction section and loaded pics in the members ride section

My first post here in the "nitty gritty" forum

I have alot done to my truck, but im eyeballing this hughes f1 airgap

want to get some honest reviews on it from people who have it.

Mileage doesnt concern me as my truck is a weekend warrior.

More interested in the performace/driveability gains.

if you have one on your truck id love to hear from you

i think it will goes nice with my sct tuner and 4.56 gears and all the other items ive done

You need more coffee, John. ;) :sleepy10:

refeicul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I just recently threw in the Hughes airgap in my truck.. Its running well but the loss in the low end is noticeable. If you do plan on doing this swap take your time and have a service manual handy just in case you are not sure of anything. 2nd make sure everything sits well! And your going to have to move the 4 holders for the injector wiring (2 each side). I got hung up on them often.

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.

Motor is bone stock....122k
mods are
aem brute force intake
dual exhaust
sct tuner by hemifever
2200 stall converter
shift kit
4.56 gears with spicer limited slip
thats about it for performance wise

what makes the mopar m1 intake better?
im going to do something....but I want more power above 2500ish rpms

just looking for a stronger pull from there up

only reason I like the hughes is the good reviews and the complete kit

im here to get pointers.....I listen to all advice....give me reasons the m1 is better

I like the price of it better than the hughes....thats for sure

and down the road I might do a cam, maybe some 1.7 rr....and id love to port and polish the heads or get some aftermarket heads

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The M1 is a great intake from idle to wot it does not disappoint at all. Its a true bolt on part, no messing with anything other than a couple of fuel rail spacers. I have lost count on how many people I know using one and all of them from fairly plain motors to to well moded motor's like it. One snowplows with one and off the other end of the scale one rock crawls with one. It was designed to be a mpi intake from the get go, not like the F1 intake at all.

I won't bash the F1 as either intake (M1/F1) is better than the stock kegger, even one that has been modded out.

Tip if the egr M1 is cheaper all you have to do is plug off those holes.

P5007852 M1 intake, 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, without EGR 1997-02 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold.

P5007638 Magnum intake manifold installation kit $69.95
P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts (5.2L/5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engine $7.75

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
The M1 is a great intake from idle to wot it does not disappoint at all. Its a true bolt on part, no messing with anything other than a couple of fuel rail spacers. I have lost count on how many people I know using one and all of them from fairly plain motors to to well moded motor's like it. One snowplows with one and off the other end of the scale one rock crawls with one. It was designed to be a mpi intake from the get go, not like the F1 intake at all.

I won't bash the F1 as either intake (M1/F1) is better than the stock kegger, even one that has been modded out.

Tip if the egr M1 is cheaper all you have to do is plug off those holes.

P5007852 M1 intake, 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, without EGR 1997-02 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold.

P4876772 Intake Manifold Attaching Bolts (5.2L/5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engine $7.75

Can you send me a link to the exact intake I need. Looking on jegs there is quite a few....and I see them from 280ish to over 800

with egr...without egr....instal kits.....im kinda confused....

I like the idea of keeping it mopar......

im just getting confused now with all the different intakes
m1 2 barrel.....m1 4 barrel....egr/no egr

I would want the complete kit...gaskets...nuts/bolts etc

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Some part numbers for you

P5007852 M1 intake, 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, without EGR 1997-02 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold. $486.50
P4876049 Intake Manifold Gasket Set (5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engines) 33.25

This is it for all your parts needed to install the M1 2bbl non egr intake. All parts are available from any Dodge/Mopar dealer

About half way down this sites web page you will find the M1 intake and the install kit, plus all the gaskets needed.

Mopar Performance - Dodge Ram/Dakota/Durango/Jeep

OP
OP
Stegs

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
Some part numbers for you

P5007852 M1 intake, 2 bbl mpi, aluminum, single plane, magnum direct replacement, without EGR 1997-02 5.2/5.9 same height as stock manifold. $486.50
P4876049 Intake Manifold Gasket Set (5.9L Truck Magnum/Jeep Engines) 33.25

This is it for all your parts needed to install the M1 2bbl non egr intake. All parts are available from any Dodge/Mopar dealer

About half way down this sites web page you will find the M1 intake and the install kit, plus all the gaskets needed.

Mopar Performance - Dodge Ram/Dakota/Durango/Jeep

great, thanks for sending me the part numbers

Now, I have one last question

what will this mopar m1 2bbl do for me that the hughes wont

will i get the same results, my end goal is to keep the lower end, but gain a strong middle and higher end

i like the idea of keeping it mopar and its a direct bolt up....I just want to make sure this intake will give me what im looking for.....to be quite honest i dont need a intake that works great above 4000 rpms....my truck never gets there anyway

just want a stronger 2000-3500 rpms

or would i be better modifying the intake i have now? i think its called a kegger mod? ill google some info on it

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You will experience less low rpm tq loss with the M1, instant throttle response, the M1 takes to other performance parts great, as I said in my other post works great from idle to WOT. The M1 is a true 2bbl MPI single plane intake, the F1 is a 4bbl dual plane carb intake that uses an adapter plate for the TB and it has had injector bungs cast into it. The M1 was built and flowed for the Magnum motor nothing else.

Edit; As for the Kegger mod either intake will get better results.

Last edited: