Lifter ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 magnum
I believe my lifters are making the infamous ticking sound and I saw if you add oil it is supposed to fix it. I only say that with hemi engines will it also work for a magnum engine if it does work what kind of oil do you recommend

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I personally run Rotella T6 full synthetic. It seems to have quieted mine down a little.
Generally any good oil should run fine in these trucks, if you continue to get lifter tick you might have one or more lifters that are on their way out as they're bleeding pressure down rapidly.

OP
OP
K

Kendall88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 magnum
Thank you so much I will try that before I send my truck to a mechanic to get worked on for that problem

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As far as ticking goes, don't bother switching to a heavier weight oil unless your weather conditions justify it. You would only be masking a symptom of the problem. Switching from conventional to synthetic can have positive effects however. I'm a valvoline guy, I have never used anything but valvoline, probably never will. Not that its inherently better, but its what I like.

As far as lifter tick, it could just be that they are out of spec like mine were. After I adjusted them, they quieted right back down and I got a tiny bit better gas mileage (i'm talking an average 20 miles extra per tank, over 20 ish refills)

If you arent comfortable doing it yourself, most shops will to valve adjustments on these engine fairly cheap as its real easy to do on the smaller 5.2s. Don't bother with having them resurface or replace anything, that requires the heads to be removed to be done properly, and it costs a lot more. If it doesn't there may be something wrong with that shop, or they are low balling you to trap you for when they 'run into problems' that are actually just part of a regular valve replacement.

If a valve adjustment doesn't quiet it down, then you may need to have the heads pulled.