Needing some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bludolphan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9l
I have 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 2x4. While driving my RPM jumps up then comes back down after a few seconds. When this happens it feels as though the engine surges and it sounds like it is sucking air. I have cleaned the Intake air control, replaced the throttle position sensor and the transmission filter. I got a code before this started but don't remember the number. I was told the codes were for a bad crankshaft position sensor (replaced) and something about the torque converter clutch solenoid. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Plenum gasket, o2 sensors, fuel delivery. There is a plethora of info about the plenum gasket on the forums, always replace o2 sensors after anything that could effect emissions. Fuel delivery, your best and easiest check is at the fuel rail. There it's a schrader valve that you hook up a fuel pressure gauge. You can buy out rent one from Napa.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess would be the governor pressure solenoid and sensor. Easy to replace but you have to drop the tanny pan again. May as well check band adjustment while you are in there too.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
if its setting TCC codes that is likely what is causing your surging. Torque converter clutch may be disengaging intermittently. does it only happen at cruise or light accel above 35 mph?

swillest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine loves to hesitate around 1700-2000 RPM's. But if I am accellerating above 2k, it won't surge at all. Does this sound familiar?