Possible rear axle swap...need guidance/tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So....If I plan on doing a rear differntial swap from a'96 open diff 3.55 (my truck is a 96 1500 2wd)to a '98 ss/t 3.55 anti-slip LSD....and I'm just a DIYer.....and will have help...but what shold I prepare for? Brake setup different? Any curveballs I should look out for? I know that these diff's are 9.25 and they have an octagon shaped pumpkin and has 12 bolts.

With 3 SS/T wheels, one good...two quite scratched and the rear diff.....Looks like he's asking 450. With 104k on the clock...would yall say this is a fair deal? What should I look out for? I know I don't want a bent axle....what would yall do to make sure this thing is solid because it's from a ss/t that is not running with the tranny out.

I know it's always a risk...but I'd like to take a some what calculated risk...for the right price.

Thanks in advance!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My question is why would you want to change the whole axle just to get an lsd?? you can order a factory lsd unit from a shop and install the clutches in your rear end. Saving lots of headache.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^^Plus the factory LSDs in these trucks are known to go out if you don't take care of them. Who knows the last time the one from the ss/t was serviced. Be better off going with a new unit that way you know.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I did hear about the issues with the factory LSD. I really appreciate the tip on that....won't buy it now.....the fluid looked decent...but no telling how it was treated.

OP
OP
R

ramchrisfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So going to a performance shop is my only option? I'd much rather use what I"ve got....but is the unit something I can order from JEGs or Summit...or somewhere else? Could I just order one from the dealer....and I will check and look...but my 96 1500 could be a 8 3/4 open diff or 9.25 open diff?

I'll count all the bolts...but it did look like an octagonish shape.

Any opinions on the 8 3/4 vs 9.25?