Rattling noise from valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Hi everyone, name is Aaron. New to the forums, but not to dodge pickups. I recently picked up a 98 ram 1500 slt with 5.9 gas. Got a great deal on it, bought it from the original owner with 99k on it. I noticed a rattling noise coming from the passenger side valve cover. It only makes a rattling noise when slightly reving the motor up and holding certain rpms while in park. Under load or accelerating it sounds healthy and makes not noises. I did some research on it, but have found multiple reasons but not exactly from the same sound. Wondering if maybe I need to go in and adjust the lifters maybe? I've read it could be a timing change tensioner, but the sound is coming right from the valve cover.

Thanks in advance for any information!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What side is the PCV on? I would be wondering if the PCV is rattling. Can't say I've seen it before, but it might be contributing.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
I believe the passenger side. Same side the noise is coming from. The rattling sounds like it's right under the valve cover.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
My best guess would be rattling. It's not a consistent ticking noise. It's only when I rev the motor slightly and only at certain rpm range. Seems to rattle around 1500-2500 range. But like I mentioned, when driving under load it does not do it.

I'll take a video of it tomorrow and post it for you guys to see. I may just pull the valve cover off since it's pretty easy. Gaskets aren't reusable on the valve covers on these are they?

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
If its the hard rubber gaskets yes they are. But it sounds like your lifters may be rattling. My old black 2wd ram did it and I just tightened up the ones that felt a little loose a lil bit lol andit went away.....

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Damn, mine makes that EXACT same noise at idle.

I always assumed it was the timing chain. If you ever figure out what it was, be sure to update the thread. lol I wanna know.

What muffler you got on it, btw? Sounds nice.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Damn, mine makes that EXACT same noise at idle.

I always assumed it was the timing chain. If you ever figure out what it was, be sure to update the thread. lol I wanna know.

What muffler you got on it, btw? Sounds nice.

I'll defiantly let you know if I figure it out. How long has your been doing that?

Also no muffler, I just cut it off today lmao!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'll defiantly let you know if I figure it out. How long has your been doing that?

Also no muffler, I just cut it off today lmao!

I'm pretty sure mine has been doing it since I got it 3 years ago.
Something I noticed about your engine is that it has a whirring noise to it. Mine doesn't have that. lol Mine check your pulleys if you haven't already.

lol Nice. Just cut it off or ran pipe out to the stock location? I've got a Thrush Turbo in case you can't see my sig. $27 bucks + install, love it. Sometimes I wish it was louder, then I remember that this is my daily. lol

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Well all I did was cut the muffler out right now. So it is dumped currently. ran out of time today, will just put a pipe in replace of the muffler. Was too quite for my taste, but like you, it will be a daily. I really don't need it much louder, that just attracts unwanted attention :p

As far as the whining, it may be the alternator? I'll have a look at the pulleys tomorrow and see if any have bad bearings.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was worried about resonance. The Thrush is actually a tad bit quieter on the highway at 75 than my old muffler was. No joke. I can't even hear it over the wind and tire noise. For some reason, my stuff gets louder as their practicality goes down. lol 76 is louder than the Ram, and my bike is louder than the 76...lmao

Alternator is a possibility, but pull the belt and check all of them. It sure sounds like it's on the passenger side, as that's where it's the loudest.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Haha bike is louder than your truck.

I know my belt squeaks a bit. Maybe need a new belt and possibly a tensioner.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You'll know it when the tensioner goes out. It will either lock super tight or it will try to flap in the wind and the belt will squeal like that of a Ford Ranger. Sounds more like a pulley to be, or it could just be a difference in engines. Seen that before too.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you have a lifter that is deflating. I'm not sure what jbmobbs was referencing with "tightening the lifters", but I'm guessing he means the lifter guide plates. The lifters themselves are hydraulic rollers, and cant be adjusted. I've seen several cases of lifters collapsing in magnum motors with high mileage. Also in some more rare cases, the exhaust valve seats crack and cause a rattle at low rpm.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Sounds like you have a lifter that is deflating. I'm not sure what jbmobbs was referencing with "tightening the lifters", but I'm guessing he means the lifter guide plates. The lifters themselves are hydraulic rollers, and cant be adjusted. I've seen several cases of lifters collapsing in magnum motors with high mileage. Also in some more rare cases, the exhaust valve seats crack and cause a rattle at low rpm.

I'm going to probably pull the intake off and check the lifters on that side. Might as well do the intake gasket fix while I'm in there.

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
I've youtubed some videos of dodges with bad lifters. Sounds identical to mine. Now quick question. These magnum motors use roller lifters or the standard flat top style?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hydraulic roller lifters. you can buy a new set from hughesengines.com

OP
OP
S

Saabonthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.9 Gas Stock 99k
Okay, I have the intake and valve cover off. I removed the rocker arms and push rods. Now I'm running into an issues of pulling the lifters out. It seems to be hitting against the head gasket. The lifter nearly comes all the way out but then hits the gasket. I sure hope I don't need to remove the head for this job. Someone let me know what needs to be done asap please! Thanks!