Trans shifts slow to 3rd when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000ramnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.8 V6
I already have a vacuum leak that I can't find. A person with a hearing aid's weak battery could hear the vacuum leak (yes, I have wild vents, but have had no luck at all in fixing that issue.) But when the truck is cold from sitting overnight, it doesn't like to shift into 3rd. When I take off, it shifts fine into 2nd, but when it is time for 3rd, the engine just races. If I let off the gas, within five seconds it will shift, and going into 4th gear is normal. About the time it takes me to drive out of my neighborhood (less than two miles) it has started working fine. After it is warmed up, it also works fine. The only time it does this is when it is freshly cold.
Could this also be vacuum related?? The truck is the V6 auto.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
If the vacuum leak is causing it then it would be the 4 plug vacuum lines on top of the tranny. It has 4 vacuum lines going to it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have had basically the same exact issue. Strange enough it only seemed to start occurring after I rebuilt the motor. I suppose it could be vaccuum related. I am also currently having problems with vents lol. No mean to bring up a post this old but have you gotten anywhere with the problem?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
There are no vac line's going/controling the tranny, xcase yes there is one plug with four lines going to it. You might check the vac lines that run down the back of the tranny to the xcase they get old and brittle and break.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
When it comes to offering help about auto's and there workings I am very limited. I was going to suggest set the bands but they are for rear band (low & reverse) and front band (passing) but they don't relate to your problem. I would think it (problem) is in the valve body somewhere.