Truck "Half Cranks" but Won't Start? Need Help Quick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Truck "Half Cranks" but Won't Start and Fuel Pump Dead? Need Help Quick

So my truck has been dying lately after I start it if I don't keep my foot on the throttle. After driving for a while, it will run fine but then when I would go to start it again, it would just crank over until you tap the throttle and then the whole process starts all over again. Well that worked for a while and I was assuming the fuel pump was going out. Well now she's dead and won't even start. When I turn the key, it does what I would call a "Half Crank", and then it clicks and that's it. It won't turn completely over. I had someone turn the key to the ignition stage and listened next to the fuel tank to see if the pump came on, and of course it didn't so I know that the fuel pump is junk but that doesn't explain why my engine won't turn over anymore or does it? I'm now half convinced that the starter is now shot as well. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated because I move to college in four days and really need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
And the battery is brand new and still has charge.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Quite possible the starter is out. Sure is what it sounds like to me. So, fuel pump and starter.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Well I was certain that the fuel pump was shot, but after picking up a new one, I decided to run a few electrical tests and get a better listen for the pump and come to find out, it's still working. This however does not explain why the truck will die if the throttle is not held above idle. After some research, I have read multiple times that the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor commonly becomes plugged and this can cause sluggishness or poor idling. After a tear down of the throttle body, I removed the IAC and it came out in pieces! So clearly this is an issue. I ordered a new one and will pick it up tomorrow ($30 lifetime warranty) and will return the fuel pump. Hopefully after replacing the IAC motor and giving the throttle body a thorough cleaning, it should solve the idling/running issues. Plus there's a 2" leveling kit waiting to be installed ;)

If anyone has any other input or ideas on anything going on with this truck I would be interested in hearing what you have.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A broken IAC will definitely cause an issue. I'd wait to see if that fixes it before pondering further.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
I'm going to install the new one tomorrow and finish cleaning and port/polishing the throttle body. I'm hoping that this will account for the lack of "get up and go" in my acceleration as well as the idling issue.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The IAC can effect off idle throttle performance for sure. Being generally dirty causes issues as well.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Okay so I pulled out the IAC and put the new one in and got the truck to start and it runs well. Shut it off and now it won't start. The starter just clicks. I know the battery should be fine, it's only three months old. It's done this before. If I let it sit overnight, it will crank enough to start it but it won't start again. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm just ready to get this stuff fixed. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
99RamSport360

99RamSport360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum 360
Took the battery out and cleaned it up. It was pretty corroded and I'm not sure why so I had it tested. Tested 97% which I expected since it is only three months old. Put the battery back in and changed out all of the battery cables and both end terminals. Truck starts right up and runs like a top. Cleaning out the throttle body actually shows noticeable changes in acceleration and it idles a lot smoother.

Last edited: