Truck Starts then dies right away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bshott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
I have a 95 318 that wouldnt run last night. I would turn the key and it would crank the start for a second or two then die. I replaced my fuel pump about a week ago because I couldnt get the truck to start at all and that fixed the problem up until now. This time however it does start, just doesnt maintain an idle. Any suggestions on what it could be? I read that i should clean out my TB and IAC, so ill give that a try but in the mean time any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What brand pump did you get? Cheap quality ones can be hit and miss... Make sure you're getting full spark and fuel. As you mentioned you were going to, cleaning out the TB and IAC should help as well. A dirty IAC can cause an idle bounce.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Usually a bad fuel pump would require the truck take longer to start.
Your symptom sounds like a failing IAC valve.

OP
OP
B

bshott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
ok thanks, i am going to clean out the tb and iac valve after practice today. Is there a certain way of cleaning i should be aware of? also how would a check that i am getting fuel spark? thanks for the help

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Get you some throttle body cleaner and a good brush, i prefer copper or stainless. As long as you don't turn the IAC pintle in any way you're good to go.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Rent the fuel pressure test kit from AZ, or O'riellys to make SURE the new pump is up to *****. NEVER assume a new part is good. 95's have a "shrader" style test port on the fuel rail. Simply attach the tester and look for around 45-50 psi. Engine will start and run with as low as 25, but poorly.

OP
OP
B

bshott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
update: i went to clean the iac yesterday as planned but before i started tried to start it again. On the first key turn the truck didn't start at all like before i replaced the fuel pump, then i gave it a second crank and it started and maintained an idle. This has me thinking its something with the fuel pump again?? thanks for all the help

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
update: i went to clean the iac yesterday as planned but before i started tried to start it again. On the first key turn the truck didn't start at all like before i replaced the fuel pump, then i gave it a second crank and it started and maintained an idle. This has me thinking its something with the fuel pump again?? thanks for all the help

Really need to check the fuel pressure. Make sure your getting 48-50 psi. If not, you'll need to replace the pump again unfortunately.