Back up light fuse blows constantly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bgg286

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT with the 5.2. I'm having an issue with my reverse lights. I bought the truck and noticed the reverse lights didnt work. Changed the fuse and it blew immediately. Removed the bulbs, replaced fuse, blown. Left the bulbs removed, started the truck, didnt even put it in reverse, and the fuse blew. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

Alpha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having this exact same issue on a 1999.

Did you ever get it resolved?

I know mine has a short somewhere between the fuse block and the reverse switch, but cannot identify the wire to focus on.

Alpha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was able to find my issue. Turns out that the park/neutral switch is on the tranny, not the column.

Once I found it, I confirmed that at least 2 of the 3 wires to the switch are shorted out right at the connector itself.

I split them up and my problem is gone. I'll order a new connector online and replace the original.

Big_Al

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
97 5.9
My 1999 is doing the same thing. I found wires on the Neutral Start Switch on the trans to be melted together. I fixed the wires to clear a check engine code. I still blow the fuse. I suspect that either my switch is bad (truck starts in reverse) or I still have a bare spot on the wires farther away from the switch. This is where I'm going to look first when I have time. HTH....Al

rammy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
So seems the connectors at tranny get messed up quite often on these trucks. mite wana check there first. If thats not it ur grounding out somewhere on the wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007