Is this battery going to be okay after what happened to it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realflow100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it is 1500 model 5.2L stock
okay so we go to start the vehicle and it tries so hard to crank but dies out and clicks
we wait a few moments and it cranks again slowly then dies out in a second or so.

we try to jumpstart the car and wait about 10 minutes and it does the same thing except takes longer to slow to a stop.

so we got a taxi. went to walmart and bought a 2A 3-stage charger
plugged it into the battery overnight.
next morning the light is green on the charger.
put the battery in the vehicle. and we got over 2 minutes of continuous cranking before any signs of slowing down (the starter is built like a tank and was still bone cold afterwards.)

For some reason the car wouldn't start. only crank and crank and crank.
we charged the battery again. put in fuel and engine cleaner and octane booster.

Lots of times trying to spray starting fluid directly into the intake (with the car off I manually opened the valve to spray it straight in)

Only 1-3 second sprays after trying to crank the engine for about 10 seconds.

No fire. just a bit of dark smoke out the tailpipe but no firing.

Occasionally it would fire just "once" then go back to cranking.

Afterwards the battery was nearly depleted.. We waited about a minute.
Then like magic the car eventually started on the last crank as the engine was starting to slow down from the battery going out.
It poured out a mixture of ugly white and black smoke then eventually cleared and became only a thinned dark smoke which started to become clear

The vehicle sort-of runs now but doesnt want to stay running once its warmed up to operating temperature. unless we rev it. it dies. (this is more detailed than the other thread i posted earlier)

The alternator seems to work fine. (battery shows 14v when the vehicles running)
I dont know what could've caused the problem but is the battery going to be fine since its now charged up to 100% (we charged it one last time just to make sure its charged with my charger)

its this type of battery and this exact model I believe

Exide Premium Extreme NASCAR 27X Auto Battery - BJs Wholesale Club

its 27S (not X) but its pretty much the same exact thing. same specifications same design and almost identical label.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Ummmm....it's not the battery lol. If it's belching smoke out when running than I'd be checking spark, compression, o2 sensors, EVERYTHING

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

OP
OP
R

realflow100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it is 1500 model 5.2L stock
It only poured out the bad smoke the first time it started after sitting for a couple months not wanting to run

but now it doesnt make smoke like that when it starts.
I unplugged a sensor from the throttle body/intake and it runs slightly higher RPM and runs rough but doesnt stall as much as when the sensor is plugged in.