Electrical Truble Shooting Help Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsLikeCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Inline Cummins
:help: I'm new to this type of problem solving, so please bear with me. My truck is a 99 extra cab 4x4 CTD with 102K miles. I started having troubles with the electrical system, it wouldn't start. Suspected the neutral safety switch and installed a button start. Problem resolved, temporarily.

Next up was intermittent loss of a/c blower, power windows, speedometer, cruise control and the ABS and AIR BAG lights would remain lit. Truck would run, but the loss of features and warning lights was a concern. I suspected a bad ignition switch was the cause of these new troubles and the initial unwillingness to start. Changed that out and things worked well; again temporarily.

Yesterday these same problems returned; while it was running and I was driving. When I stopped and turned the truck off, it would either start with the same loss of features and warning lamps lit, would have everything work but refuse to turn over, or start without any trouble at all. After checking all of the fuses, pulling the various relays in the fuse box and power distribution center, it might or might not fire up. Once I even unscrewed the main connection from the PDC which allowed me to drive home.

Last time I hooked my OBD up, no codes were detected. Has anyone else had this series of faults and discovered what caused them? I'm stumped and the local dealer wants $250 just to look at it before they tell me because its older than 10 years they may not have anyone able to work on it?

My reaction was the same as yours, give them my money for a, "sorry can't help", I don't think so. I've found similar troubles listed on the net, but the suggested fixes and results were most of what I've already tried. Anybody out there with a possible or probable place to start? I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I'm already gray and don't want my hair to fall out as well.

Thanks in advance for all help.

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
Never seen these exact problems at all but when I blow my horn my A/C fuse blows.......

Since it all seems dash located in your case possibly look for a faulty ground. Not sure if that would be anywhere close to solving your problem but might be a place to start.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
question was your dash cracked in any point in the trucks history?

OP
OP
C

CumminsLikeCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Inline Cummins
question was your dash cracked in any point in the trucks history?
It still is on the top. Front is sound. As an update, I found the passenger side battery ground was missing a bolt. Once I plug in a new one, I'm hoping that eliminates the issues. If not I'll have to crawl under the hood and dash to search for ground wires to try and tighten.

OP
OP
C

CumminsLikeCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Inline Cummins
Put a new bolt in and tightened it up. Problem recurred and I discovered the hot lead to the starter solenoid is loose. Got to tighten it up, but now a new problem cropped up, windshield wipers quit again. Already replaced the motor and wiper transmission once. When it rains, it pours; it was coming down in buckets when it quit. I wonder if I drowned the motor with this Hawaiian rain? The fuse is still good, so I'm chasing electrical gremlins.

Johnnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
4.7 Magnum V-8
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Sport. The other day, the truck was idling, I came back outside, and smoke was in the cabin. I didn't see any fire, the truck stalled. Now the truck will not start, but the cab lights remain on. I've unplugged things, and checked for power, but nothing. I need help.