factory alarm removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
While I was replacing the windshield wiper motor on my '98 Ram Sport 1500, I unhooked the battery just to be safe. When I was done, I re-connected the battery and the alarm started going off?!?! This is a factory Mopar alarm, no panic button on the key-fob and the only way I can get past the damn alarm is to unhook the positive battery cable, leave the d-side door open, turn the key to the run position, and re-connect the battery. That'll re-set it so the siren shuts off and I can start and drive the truck. I go back to the truck the next day and open the door and the damn alarm starts going off again:banghead: What's it take to completely remove this p.o.s. alarm? I live in the middle of nowhere, have no need for an alarm.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That is a good question. I have the factory alarm system for my sport but I don't have a siren. Just the horn beeps lights flash type deal. Sounds like it was an aftermarket that maybe mopar supplied. But I would be on the hunt from the siren to a control box of some sort.

OP
OP
B

Black12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
I traced back into the cab, found the control box and another box that has what I believe to be a sensitivity dial, both stamped Mopar and both sealed as well. I also found the valet switch under the dash and what I assume to be an arming switch(red and flashes when you shut the truck off). What I did finally figure out is that if you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position while the siren is going off and push and hold the valet switch the siren and inter-lock will shut off allowing you to start and drive the truck. Once you shut the truck off the arming switch starts to flash at that point you hold the arming switch and it shuts off the alarm system, what a PITA! I'm still trying to figure out what needs to be done to completely remove the alarm, I'm concerned if I just start chopping wires it may trigger the inter-lock.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That is possible. Guess mopar offered that as a dealer option. Are there any plugs or are all the wires soldered in place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
B

Black12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
I'm not sure about the main connections, I still have some tracing to do. I was working on it yesterday and it was about 25* with a stiff wind. With no shed to work in my main concern was getting the alarm figured out so I could have the truck for work today. Once I'm able to get it inside where it's not so cold I'll do some more tracing and figure it out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I bet you have sentry key then... is there an S stamped on the key toward the base or is the head very thick instead of slim. Put up a picture.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok Smiles mind passing along a schooling? What is this sentry system you are talking about? Never heard of it?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ok Smiles mind passing along a schooling? What is this sentry system you are talking about? Never heard of it?

Of course. The reason I know about this is I used to work at a dealership and we sold Astro start and these made install guys have to work a little harder plus when you cut a new key you have to program it.

Chrysler Sentry Key
I am not sure if your truck would have it though honestly. I did not think they did it until they switched to oval keys.

SKIS (sentry key immobilizer system)
• Started in 1998
• Vehicle Theft Alarm previous
• Which vehicles (look for gray key)
• Max number of keys 8
• Disables fuel injectors, and starter for 1 hour after 5 theft attempts

Components:
• Sentry key
• Sentry key immobilizer module (communicates to the BCM, PCM, and scan tool)
• Theft lamp
• PCI data bus
• BCM (controls lamp)
• PCM

Blank transponder key has a programmed transponder ID code
The SKIM stores the transponder ID code during programming
The PCM, and SKIM module contain the secret key data
When programmed, the sentry key will contain the secret key data
A blank key can only be programmed once

Module location: steering column, near ignition switch

Look like this but could say any mopar brand or stratec
sentry-keys.jpg

Last edited:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Interesting. As far as I know all of the 2nd gen have the triangles.

357157.jpg

At least mine does. But I have the factory key fob with the panic button. Isn't that like the same thing?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not the same you can alarm and keyless entry with or without the sentry system. See a regular can be stopped by simply cutting the wire from what I understand and have seen it on failed remote start installs the sentry system does a lot more and if it says no you cannot go then you shall not go. "Immobilizer is exactly what is says it makes it so the vehicle cannot be driven plus alarm also goes off. Pretty advanced and cool really the key is fat compared to standard key and has S by the base on some but not all. On the ones with remote built into key head it is harder to tell as they are all the same size no thick gray head like in earlier 3rd gens.

OP
OP
B

Black12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Magnum
Mines the triangles like Bigtman07 posted and the key fob has no panic button. When I get a chance I'll pull some numbers off the box under the dash.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that was even an option in 98.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
To be fair I have not seen one on a Ram but my Jeep and Durango both did.