installing keyless entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
so its getting kind of annoying having to unlock my truck with the key, and then having to get inside to unlock the passenger door... how easy would it be to install a remote door lock kit? has anyone done this before? ive seen conversions from manual locks to power locks (which i have) but i have never seen a remote conversion.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
It is fairly simple but my experience with most aftermarket systems is they're junk and when you have 1 failed part usually the whole system has to be replaced because parts availability is minimal

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have remote start/keyless entry on my 01 but I didn't install it myself. I got it as a xmas present and BestBuy did the install. I saw the receipt and it was only $400 for the install and the kit.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I am considering going with a bulldog security brand remote start keyless entry on my 00.. biggest issue i've seen with that company is they don't offer a t harness for the 98 to 01 ram trucks just the 94 to 97.. HOWEVER.. they do offer it for the 98 up durango or dakota can't remember what one.. and by research have found that the harness goes to the plug for the ignition switch so no splicing there.. AND the ignition switch is the same for those year rams. so for one without factory keyless entry it should be a perfect swap.. i think after the t harness there is only about 10 or less wires that have to be ran... and on top of that they offer a tailgate lock that is an add on.. my plan was to get the tailgate lock and use the truck release button for the tgate. they also have wiring diagrams available and instructions.. this is of course all a diy kind of system..