OH NO. Not another steering question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
All that I see everywhere is 99.5 HD and 08.5 HD Inverted steering upgrade.
But what i see is for 2500's. Does this upgrade work on the 1500?

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The 98.5 to 99HD steering works.... Depending on your year the only thing that might need to be changed would be the tre at the pitman... As I have an 01 I had to swap to an es3527 at the pitman arm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
The 98.5 to 99HD steering works.... Depending on your year the only thing that might need to be changed would be the tre at the pitman... As I have an 01 I had to swap to an es3527 at the pitman arm

I have an 01.
Been doing a lot of reading. 98.5, like you say, needs the swap.
08.5 is a bolt in.
BUT, from what I'm reading, the swap is not worth it as the parts still wear out the same as stock.
Upgrading to a whole aftermarket system seems the best choice but not a $1000+.
Going Hiem joints and all to drilling out your knuckles for larger tie rods.
Upgrading to HD parts seems moot as the joints, which are the issue, are the same size as your stockers.
It's all very confusing.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I read a lot of the same things you have, but as I needed to replace my factory linkage and didn't have huge funds to go with a custom setup, I went with the 98.5 inverted t.... What I will say, as I haven't had it installed long enough to determine life expectancy, is that the tie rod is definitely beefier... Not that that makes it better, just an observation

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I read a lot of the same things you have, but as I needed to replace my factory linkage and didn't have huge funds to go with a custom setup, I went with the 98.5 inverted t.... What I will say, as I haven't had it installed long enough to determine life expectancy, is that the tie rod is definitely beefier... Not that that makes it better, just an observation

Yes, the LINK's are larger but the JOINT's are the same. That's what I'm reading.

I need to replace my steering system and would like to upgrade but see no reason to spend money on an "upgrade" that is the same as I already technically have.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Think outta the box like f450-550 steering linkage. Taper is diff from ours but u can ream the knuckles out to match the Ford tapper.

Y install another inferior steering linkage.

Upgrade that *****.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Think outta the box like f450-550 steering linkage. Taper is diff from ours but u can ream the knuckles out to match the Ford tapper.

Y install another inferior steering linkage.

Upgrade that *****.

Exactly. I don't want to upgrade to the same ****.

F550? Wait, do I have the steering link already? ****. No. Just the F350 diff. Hmm.... cool ass idea's forming. Reaming is easy.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
f350 tres drop in from the top so no go there but the 450 tres go up from the bottom. Closest thing to a true cross over steering u can get that will pass a vi if needed.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
f350 tres drop in from the top so no go there but the 450 tres go up from the bottom. Closest thing to a true cross over steering u can get that will pass a vi if needed.

Looked at my foreman's F350 today. From pitman to top of right knuckle then drops through to bottom then crosses over to left knuckle. Could drill out. VI, I'm not worried about that. I "know people".

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Well if you don't give a **** a out vi or other people on the road then do a DOM with hime ends true over steering.

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Well if you don't give a **** a out vi or other people on the road then do a DOM with hime ends true over steering.

You forget, I am a Journeyman Red Seal welder by trade. Building things is what I do.
Steering components are something I can build and build correctly. I am certified to do such things.
Passing inspections is not a problem. I get tested on bigger, more important things than a little steering link.
My Licence can be revoked and I could get prison time and large fines if I make mistakes that injure or cost lives. I by no means want that to happen so every thing I do takes that into account.
What I'm doing is looking for ideas. Then take some of them and come up with a winning system.
One that works for me and doesn't cost me $1000+

PS: Of course what I do has to fall within "legal" boundries. Like no full on hydraulic steering. Must be mechanical link.
Btw, I am trained in Hydraulics. I build Mobile Hydraulic systems at work and have been trained at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Not that that matters.

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Red seal millwright, third class power enginer (absa), 15 plus years in the marine field yea I might have a skill or two about my wits as well

Means **** all...

OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Bah.

Don't knock your abilities.

With that logic I am not qualified to build anything that goes on the road and that is simply untrue. I AM legally allowed. I AM certified. It is why I became a welder.

Your saying THEY can weld steering components but CERTIFIED WELDERS cannot.

So I build frames and axles and suspension components at my job all the time but I can't build a steering link?

Last edited:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I can tell you this much NO welded steering is allowed on the roads in BC. Simple deal same goes for some of the state's.

If you ever make it out this way u can have this full DOM cross over steering setup, cant use it here so.......

2013-10-25_14-14-30_876_zpsc923ad2e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmy68

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
1st, I have to apologize for being a complete idiot. I know full well you can not weld or modify steering links.
Wow. I was having a brain meltdown and do not even know why.

2nd, we both know we could build something safe. Just not legal.

3rd, sorry for forgetting that. I've known that for many years.

4th, Beautiful link you have there. Edit: Don't say that and be misunderstood. Lol

Yes, it does happen now and then when I get thinking of something and get stupid.
We can build most anything. But some bureaucratic says we can't build steering links and that is understandable but horse ****.

Last edited: