Heated steering wheel upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all, so just picked up a leather heated steering with volume controls. See pics. I have a 2014 Express with basic steering wheel that has no volume controls or the heated function. Last year I did an interior upgrade, where as part of it I replaced my center console and also my radio with the Chinese touch screen unit. The console came with the buttons that also has a heated steering wheel button. As far as I remember remember reading, the volume controls should just work, since the new head unit supports canbus. But what about the heated wheel? I’d assume I won’t be that lucky that it will just work, just because I have the button for it? Do I need an additional harness to get it working (@Mpgrimm2 I assume, something you may know)? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm I believe the heated wheel clock spring, the hard button for the wheel button and of course the harness from m2mods to make it work plus the alpha obd programming to turn it on .just did the seat and wheel upgrade in my 2017 express good luck !

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hmmm I believe the heated wheel clock spring, the hard button for the wheel button and of course the harness from m2mods to make it work plus the alpha obd programming to turn it on .just did the seat and wheel upgrade in my 2017 express good luck !
Thanks! Got the button there already and just called the junk yard i got the wheel from and they will be sending the enture steering column assembly with the clockspring. I do have Alfa, so should be good there, looks like will just need the harness.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not do a used clock spring personal option if I recall from Benny all mopar parts was less than 150 for new . if the used one spins to much it’s toast !I looked it up it’s currently showing around 382 for the new one sorry I was wrong . There’s just some parts I won’t do used .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would not do a used clock spring personal option if I recall from Benny all mopar parts was less than 150 for new . if the used one spins to much it’s toast !I looked it up it’s currently showing around 382 for the new one sorry I was wrong . There’s just some parts I won’t do used .
Yeah it’s a gamble I agree. I’m quoted $160 shipped for the entire steering column. Wonder what else I can use there ))

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you have the heated cooled seats ? that wheel looks in really good shape also the audio buttons should work with out any programing if i recall .

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
do you have the heated cooled seats ? that wheel looks in really good shape also the audio buttons should work with out any programing if i recall .
No don’t have the heated seats. Basic manual cloth seats, maybe upgrade in the future if I stumble on a nice deal. The wheel really is in nice shape, especially for what I paid for it. So contemplating if I want to drop another 160 on the steering column, just to get the heated option, I do fine without it in my Audi haha. Volume control is really what I bought the wheel for…

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a big fan of the heated steering wheel.

I rarely wear gloves inside the truck, regardless of how low the temperatures go.

And, I can't ever see going without this feature in the future, I'm wrecked for life now. :cool:

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a big fan of the heated steering wheel.

I rarely wear gloves inside the truck, regardless of how low the temperatures go.

And, I can't ever see going without this feature in the future, I'm wrecked for life now. :cool:

Will always have these options or I won’t look at it !

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 ram 1500 sport with a heated steering wheel. I am looking at getting a new one cause it is worn and has a tear in it. Is it possible to swap in a 5th gen heated steering wheel? Its odd but I can find them cheaper than a 4th gen even at junk yards.

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To answer the OP's question. You will need the heated seat module, and the seat wiring harness for the driver's seat. The heated seat module controls the steering wheel heater.