Anyone built a cooling circuit for turbo after truck is turned OFF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

As the title states has anyone built a cooling circuit for turbo after truck is turned OFF??

I find it hard to believe our $50K trucks are not equipped with fan and timer to cool the turbo!!!

Our manual has idle times you are suppose to what before turning off the engine to allow the turbo to cool so we can waste more fuel because the Ram Engineers where asleep at the drawing board!!

Some where I heard or read on new Ram trucks this will be standard, is this true??

My wife is driving 2012 VW Jetta TDI it was only $25K car and this turbo cooler was built in.

When you turn off her car a fan stays until the turbo comes down to certain temperature no idling necessary!!!!

I am thinking of building something perhaps a 12v electric fan aimed at the turbo on a timer??

It could be wired to the fuel cut of solenoid,turn off the truck starts the fan wired to either battery with a fuse which starts the timer??

Regards
Don

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't see how having a fan pointed at the turbo will cool the bearings (the reason for letting the engine idle) very effectively.
I don't know anything about the Jetta but are you sure thats the intended purpose of the fan running?
Shutting down the oil supply and or coolant on a turbo when the bearings are heated can lead to the oil coking on the bearings.
Aftermarket turbo timers rely on the same method ( keep the engine running and circulating oil for a pre-set time) as just sitting in the vehicle to allow to to cool down a bit.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now if you could design an auxilary oil pump to feed oil for a set amount of time after you turn the ignition off, that would be very benifitial and you won't need to keep the engine running.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
They make turbo timers so that the truck doesn't shut off until the engine temp is back down to a safe level for the oil in the turbo. I know SchroederMP just put one on his truck and loves it. That's the closest thing out there to what you want that I know of. Anything else like what you describe would have to be custom... good luck!