Dang that engine is quiet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Ok gents, is it me or is the new 6.7 CTD in the new 2500's quiet as crap? I was sitting at a red light tonight with the windows down, when a brand spanking new 2500 mega cab CTD pulled up next to me. I mean I know my 12 valve is loud and all, but damn, I couldnt even tell his truck was running! Wheres the fun in that???? Do people just not like hearing the engines any more????

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea man they are really quite...all the damn regulations on them now it's crazy

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Welcome to emissions laws ... gut it if ya can ... delete kit to start

He need one , send him my way

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I knew him dave, you would be the first person I would send him too lol. Personally, I would consider it to be an embarassment if my diesel was almost as quiet as a stinking prius hahahaha.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
LOL , that is true

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
EFI Live and turn off the pre-injection event and it will sound exactly like a 24V engine again and produce much better MPG's!

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't believe it either....... And also it doesn't shake like a true cummins does!!! When you crank it up it sounds like a Honda civic.... And honestly a completely stock one doesn't have the power like I expected.....

Sent from my ADR6350

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
They are terrible! I have had a couple come into work and you really cannot hear them until they are right up on ya. I am glad to have one of the last REAL Cummins put into these trucks. It still sounds like it should, smells like it should AND rattles like an earthquake whenever you turn her off

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It's not just the emmision laws it's old guys who pull campers really

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A quiet Cummings Diesel does sound really weird to me.

I know I'm in the extreme minority however, I kind of go the other way with the regular gas trucks.

In my younger years, I wanted everything deep and loud sounding, but not so much now. Heck, in my early driving days in the 80's I even had a cherry bomb glass pack on my 72 Plymouth Duster with 3 on the tree.

These days, I prefer silent stealth power. Especially on a daily driver. I still LOVE the sound of a deep throaty V8 and would do it if my truck wasn't my only vehicle though. Maybe it's just my age, but we live in a nice quiet rural neighborhood and we have a few people with big trucks and fast cars with modified exhaust and it gets really old when they go by my house when I'm trying to sleep or whatever.

My wife runs a certified home daycare at the house and they've woke the kids during nap time. We also have a lot of loud dirt bikes and loud ATVs since we're at the base of a small mountain with lots of woods.

Hell, I even put a Benz Silent Rider silencer on my Yamaha Grizzle 600 ATV so I wouldn't wake the babies in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
A quiet Cummins Diesel does sound really weird to me.

Sorry, had to correct it, lol

What you say makes sense. My truck being straight piped is really loud and I have had a couple people complain about it, but at the moment, I am not in a situation like you where I cannot have something loud and until then, it will stay loud

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, had to correct it, lol

What you say makes sense. My truck being straight piped is really loud and I have had a couple people complain about it, but at the moment, I am not in a situation like you where I cannot have something loud and until then, it will stay loud

HAH - Cummings DUH. I must've had a brain fart while typing. I should be flogged for that one LOL.

And again, I love the loud sound! I just know what it's like when my son was a baby to finally get him to sleep and then someone blast by the house with a loud car or truck and then you have to start all over.

Then again I'd take back those days in a second since he unfortunately passed away at only 14 in 2008.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ah crap there goes the thread.

Sorry bro about that. I too have been in that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hate to say it guys, the 2004+ have the EGR injection event too... our late model 5.9s are restricted from their true capability unfortunately...

I'm looking into EFI live myself to see if that'll help... I'd love to see reliable 24mpg..

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hate to say it guys, the 2004+ have the EGR injection event too... our late model 5.9s are restricted from their true capability unfortunately...

I'm looking into EFI live myself to see if that'll help... I'd love to see reliable 24mpg..

Whaaaaattttt?! I did not know that! Im not doubting your knowledge what so ever, but Do you have an article or anything with that info?

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 2012 6.7L cummins work truck almost sunds like a gas motor.... I'm use to pulling through drive thru's and having to shut the motor off because they keep saying "I can't hear you" lol I miss them days.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Whaaaaattttt?! I did not know that! Im not doubting your knowledge what so ever, but Do you have an article or anything with that info?

Yep, it's not like an EGR or something physically added on like the 6.7s and the other modern EPA controlled diesels, ours is all in the timing and the cam. Sooooooo, the only way to completely make it disappear is an aftermarket cam

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like pulling up at the drive though and having to say again my order two or three times, lets me know my engine is running right...
Honestly though, Im not a big fan of the new body style, or engine for that matter on the new Rams. I wish I could find a good ram like infernoed has, with a blown engine for a good price.... My 12 valve would be getting implanted into the megacab lol. I love my second gen though, its great when people ask me how did I get my truck to sound like that lol