Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverCORamOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me give you some background. My truck is a 2009 1500 5.7. I blew the engine like 9 months ago [ceased completely] replaced with an engine from a truck that had been set on fire and also had bad cams and lifters. I suspect the owners of the truck where that engine came from might have burned it up intentionally for an insurance claim, but that's none of my business. I got a good deal on the engine and the crankshaft was turning good. My old cam and lifters were good so I decided to swap them over to the "new" engine along with coils. Yes, if I had the money I would have replaced them with brand new lifters as is suggested.

I took my time on getting the timing correctly. Setting the markers top center, piston 1 at its top position, and reassembly and did everything good, as far as I could tell. Truck kept throwing P0305 codes and P0300 codes when getting above 2500 rev's. As I understand this is when the MDS system activates. I previously posted on this forum and folks identified my mistake of not replacing lifters with brand new ones.

Torn engines down again to the lifter and trying to identify if any more mds lifters are bad.

Ideally, I know it is best to replace all lifters if you have the opportunity. However it is a budget thing and I know that many mechanics run into this issue of their clients not having the money to change out the lifters. The cam is good, no lobes or wearing. My question is how do you test each individual mds lifter to know it is good. All the videos I see of replacing lifters show that they are worn to death, are stuck, don't turn, and are obviously busted.

I been trying to educate myself on how MDS lifters actually work, and there is limited resources on this issue. So far I understand that the MDS Solenoids, when activated, send a signal or pulse to the lifters at which point the lifters have pins on their distinctive holes that lock and get charged up with oil.... and then the proper lift is reached where that piston can fire. [Please correct me if Im wrong].

When there is no distinctive wearing on the roller of the MDS Lifters, what else might indicate that it has gone bad? Besides the codes. I know for sure swapping the 305 fifth cylinder.

I will attached some videos of the lifters:

I did see some lifters on rockauto for 400 bucks and am saving up for those. Has anyone used these or know of something around that budget that is better?

ENGINETECH L5701K

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How do you know the cam is good and not know the lifters are either bad or good? If lifter is bad that means the post is gonna be hitting the lob and the lob will be pitted. Plus, once a mis fire happens especially a specific one as in your p305 it is likely the cam lob on 5 is worn down. Did you ever have cam out and lifters out?

This is a hellavue a story I am hoping you figure this out. I am betting you wont trade this for a coup de veille?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Stay away from Engine Tech lifters,they have one of the worst reps as far as lifters go. You'd be better off tearing down a couple engines at a wrecking yard,till you found some decent used OEM lifters,then using Engine Tech lifters

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay away from Engine Tech lifters,they have one of the worst reps as far as lifters go. You'd be better off tearing down a couple engines at a wrecking yard,till you found some decent used OEM lifters,then using Engine Tech lifters
As he says DO NOT buy those lifters Im dealing with them RN they are LOUD I know there is not many other options.

OP
OP
D

DenverCORamOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How do you know the cam is good and not know the lifters are either bad or good? If lifter is bad that means the post is gonna be hitting the lob and the lob will be pitted. Plus, once a mis fire happens especially a specific one as in your p305 it is likely the cam lob on 5 is worn down. Did you ever have cam out and lifters out?

This is a hellavue a story I am hoping you figure this out. I am betting you wont trade this for a coup de veille?

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sorry for the bad news but Enginetech lifters are trash. I did the same thing you did and bought them. Engine ran for only a few minutes before it started making noise. The best thing for you to do is send them back for a refund and buy the OEM. DO NOT buy from amazon or ebay as they are probably counterfeit, go with a actually dealer or parts store. I bought mine from Rockauto as they were the cheapest. Find and use a coupon code if you need to.

Some of you problems might because the push rod is not in its cup on the arm. Its to be a common issue when putting these hemi's back to together.

Check out my post on my Hemi 6.4 with the lifter tick.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just replaced a set of lifters in a 6.4. Most of them look fine as far as I can tell, one was clearly bad. I'll direct message you, you can have them super cheap. Find one other person who will do the same, pick the best of them, and you have a set of Mopar lifters for not much $