Needing a cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'd suggest getting a manual. I've been kicking myself since the day i bought mine for getting the auto instead of the manual. But i was in a pinch when i got mine and didn;t have time to keep searching for exactly what i wanted, i settled for close. I love my 24v, but to get it power hungry, you are looking at computers and lots of money. on the 12v, there are ALOT of cheap modifications you can do to 'em to get a decent amount of power out of them, without breaking the bank. Also, the main difference between the 5 speed, and the 6 speed, is the 6 speed has 1 more LOWER gear. 5th gear on the 5 speed has almost the same ratio as 6th gear on the 6 speed. so if your mostly city, a 6 speed might get you better MPGs, if your mostly highway, the 5 speed is going to be cheaper. just my 2 cents

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah been looking at the manuals lately too but wasn't sure was best on 5 or 6. I do like my automatics, plus then if someone else has to drive the truck they can. on the other hand my wife wouldn't be able to if I got the manual. Trying to get work comp finished and then will deal with the truck, hopefully its soon been dragging on since december

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Anyone can drive a manual diesel, it's nothing like driving a gas job stick

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
That 2nd one .. LOL you will be replacing doors .. WOW them some holes

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Good thing I have a parts truck huh. lol

i mentioned to my wife that I was looking at manuals, she said well how am i suppose to drive it when i need it? I told her it was time to learn. just got the dakota covertible I could teach her on

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Diesels have enough torque to pull themselves out
It's probably harder to tell when to downshift then pulling out which says alot haha

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
tell her that she can either learn to drive a manual or just call you whenever she needs to use the truck. lol. I would go with the manual, i don't hold much faith in the 47re in my truck. If i had a new venture, or an allison i would be happy, or even a getrag. Could be preconceived notions in my head that all automatics are evil and will eventually kill me, or that they run on magic. I just greatly prefer a manual in everything i drive, which is why eventually i''ll do a swap. So if you get a mnaual and your wife demands an auto, we can meet up for a weekend and swap my auto into your manual, and your manual in my auto :********: I'll even be the one that has to drive halfway across the US and if you get an ex cab short box, everything will swap back and forth....

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If my CTD did not have a built trans I would have switched to a manual .

I love my 5 speed now .. just something about power on hand I love .

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
hmmmm...well if the day comes anytime soon i feel the need to sell my truck luke....youve seen it up close and in person, but as of right now its goin nowhere

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I would definitely say get the manual, I wish I had one so bad. but price was right.

my next truck will definitely be a stick, and of course it will be a cummins. Its so nice being able to change gears on demand when towing through the mountains out here.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I definitely agree - I love the manual trans in my Cummins. I was never fond of the auto in my 2010 1500 - even with the Hemi and much less when I got my Hemi 6-spd Challenger