2018 6.7 Cummins surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram6169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have just recently purchased my first diesel truck 6 weeks ago, 2018 6.7 Cummins. Truck has 80k miles and engine is still stock. Over the last few weeks I have noticed the truck surge a little bit when in reverse, idle and at cruising speeds. its random and doesn't happen all the time. Truck is not throwing any codes nor is any lights on the dash. I've read multiple things from bad injectors to fuel pumps to bad diesel. I do have extended warranty from the dealership. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Being the truck is "new to you" I'd start with fresh fuel filters MOPAR or Fleetgaurd only. Dont cheap out. Buy from a reputable company. I've now personally dealt with 2 Chinese Mopar knockoffs that created problems .
Like said above, primary is under the truck attached to the chassis almost directly above the rear axle & driveshaft. It is a spin on with a water sensor in the bottom that gets reused. There is a special wrench for it but if it's not too tight you can use other tools. They are O-ring sealed so you do not have to overtighten them.
The secondary is on the driverside (left) of the engine on the side of the block. It is a canister style. Again don't overtighten the plastic lid.
Anything more than that I'd want to hook a good scanner to it that can read sensor parameters to see what fuel rail pressure is doing.

OP
OP
R

Ram6169

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ya I have an appointment Monday at the dealership, I’m gunna have them start there with the fuel filters as I have 2 free services. Hopefully that’s all it is, when I checked the water/fuel it was dirty as in looked like it hadn’t been changed in a while. The fuel was good tho, got some in a jar and no water inside.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Ya I have an appointment Monday at the dealership, I’m gunna have them start there with the fuel filters as I have 2 free services. Hopefully that’s all it is, when I checked the water/fuel it was dirty as in looked like it hadn’t been changed in a while. The fuel was good tho, got some in a jar and no water inside.
Did that fix it?

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have just recently purchased my first diesel truck 6 weeks ago, 2018 6.7 Cummins. Truck has 80k miles and engine is still stock. Over the last few weeks I have noticed the truck surge a little bit when in reverse, idle and at cruising speeds. its random and doesn't happen all the time. Truck is not throwing any codes nor is any lights on the dash. I've read multiple things from bad injectors to fuel pumps to bad diesel. I do have extended warranty from the dealership. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
When was the last time you changed your fuel filters. Is it the first half of 18 the truck was made or the 2nd half of that year. Do you know which High Pressure pump you have in your truck is it a CP4 or a CP3. The CP4's have recall on them.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
When was the last time you changed your fuel filters. Is it the first half of 18 the truck was made or the 2nd half of that year. Do you know which High Pressure pump you have in your truck is it a CP4 or a CP3. The CP4's have recall on them.
Only 2019 & 2020 MY came with CP4.2. OP has an 2018, CP3.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357