Claybar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There's been a couple mentions or clay baring trucks and I Washed my girlfriends truck for her today and decided it could really use it
I'm not sure if you guys will really be able to see the difference in the picture or if this my just be a pointless thread lol
d2b4c75e.jpg
9e0cdba3.jpg
It's a farm truck with 158k miles on it
I'm not sure if it's ever been waxed and I know it hasn't in te past 35k miles
After clay bar
5b134e4a.jpg
8075abb1.jpg

Wish the pictures came out better but it makes a huge difference
I didn't even go over it all the well (maybe a half hour compared to atleast 2 hours when I detailed cars)

I used a mothers kit although I just use water instead of the instant detailer
I with I knew what kind we used to have, all I know is it was purple and seemed to work a little better

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've spent 2 hours working on my tailgate and bumper. Damned build up!

It looks a whole lot better though!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
looks great, don't forget to put a coat of wax on now...LOL

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I did! Lol
Go figure I went to pic her up and hit a few miles of freshly tarred and chipped road
I was mad about that for a bit till it just started to rain...

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Heck yea, clay bars are freakin awesome! I need to clay bar mine one of these weekends. It's getting pretty grimy from where I park at work.

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
d0f6f9e3.jpg
I just enjoy feeling the difference in the paint before and after lol
It brought alot I the metallic flake out of the paint an look alot better with a coat of wax
It has my hopes up that the dings, dents, scratches and rust aren't all the bad lol

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dam seeing this makes me want to do mine. Same color, should have same results ;)

It aint easy.... bein' Easy ;)

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome sauce!!! If anybody isnt wanting to do actual clay barring, there are other methods that do the same deal, that dont use clay...You can purchase a product called the "Speedy Surface Prep Towel", that you use with your clay lubricant or detail spray and get the same effect.

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Awesome sauce!!! If anybody isnt wanting to do actual clay barring, there are other methods that do the same deal, that dont use clay...You can purchase a product called the "Speedy Surface Prep Towel", that you use with your clay lubricant or detail spray and get the same effect.

Hm I had no clue they had other options actually

I just use water, the only good thing about using detailed is it smells good lol
And I guess if your not planning on waxing right after!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah our local club sponsor, not only uses clay, but offers a couple other solutions that give the same effect, I need to get mine clay barred too...a lot of people are surprised how even a brand new car, coming off the lot can have so many contaiminants in the paint..

S

scotts2012ram

I need to clay mine. Kind of off point but how often do I need to do this after the first time. I wash my truck ones a week as I live around a lot of gravel roads and I'm very picky about my trucks

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to clay mine. Kind of off point but how often do I need to do this after the first time. I wash my truck ones a week as I live around a lot of gravel roads and I'm very picky about my trucks

IDK really...I suppose if you waxed your truck every 6 months, then do it before waxing...so...every 6 months...LOL

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pics of the claybarred truck look awesome. Questions for you "clay disciples" from my one use of it back in the late '90's: whenever the clay bar picks up contaminants frm the paint, do those contaminants harm the paint as you continue to run the clay over it?

If this is a stupid question, I apologize - as I said, it's been years since I've used clay and since then, I've found that a good slathering with kerosene followed by a soapy handwash removes everything from the paint and creates a clean surface for waxing. Easier to work with than the hunk of clay, also.

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lol I was actually thinking about that as I was doing it today
I don't have an answer for ya!

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know the clay works - I've talked a couple guys who know paint/bodywork who swear by it - especially for rail dust.

The kerosene works great, tho. I used it for 10 yrs on my '97.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I clayed my ***** today too!