Cleaning "The Tip"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.9Magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum v8
I was wondering what product everyone uses to clean exhaust tips? I bought a Gibson bolt on tip for my truck(stainless steel) about a year ago. I had it on for about a month and took it off. Its been sitting in my room ever since, in the pictures you will see why. From reading around I understand that the heat is what turns the metal a different color and oxidation? Ive tried never-dull, brasso and simply just trying to clean it as recommended to me and nothing seems to work. I know you have to stay on top of the cleaning for these things but this bad after one month? Just does not seem right to me. If anyone has ideas or suggestions it would be appreciated. Im knew to the forum so i hope I upload these correctly. Thanks guys

qEkqhk.jpg

tsRsyA.jpg

z9QhYp.jpg

vCeLGr.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Ixxblitzxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
Subscribed, in the same situation sort of with my exhaust tips.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into Nevrdull. I use it to clean gunk off or wheels and tips, I'd be willing that might help.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I looked it up on the internet, and it's called "browning". There were several polishes recommended, but one suggestion was a quick dip in Hydro Chloric acid, followed by a thorough rinse. It apparently can happen with excessive heat, which will react with the iron in stainless. Though I doubt there is that much heat in a tailpipe end.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It looks like discoloration from something splashed or sprayed on it. If that was on the end of a tail pipe it shouldn't ever get hot enough to turn blue from heat like a motorcycle exhaust. If it's stainless it should polish out but be careful and test a spot on the bottom first because some polishes have abrasives that will scratch stainless. Did anyone ever spray wheel cleaner on it? I've seen that look on stainless when the truck wash gets brightener aka acid over spray on it.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm tellin ya that blue job polish should clean that up. There's a video of a guy cleaning all kinds of motorcycle pipes with it. I used it to take some yellowing off my one tip on my truck.

OP
OP
5.9Magnum

5.9Magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum v8
Thanks for the replies everyone. The only thing I cleaned it with was car wash soap when I was washing the truck, but rinsed it and dried completely. I never used a wheel cleaner or anything else on it. I did try never dull and in one spot it lightened a little bit with some serious elbow grease...if I wanted to do the whole thing id be here for days. Ill try the blue job chrome polish like suggested.

I almost feel like i should almost give in and buy a new one because the cleaning products are adding up. Then again idk if id run into the same problem :confused:

OP
OP
5.9Magnum

5.9Magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum v8
I'm tellin ya that blue job polish should clean that up. There's a video of a guy cleaning all kinds of motorcycle pipes with it. I used it to take some yellowing off my one tip on my truck.

I just checked youtube that stuff is no joke! looks like ill have to give that a try next. Thanks

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's stained, yeah my suggestion won't work lol

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never-R-Dull should work pretty good on them.

And I have to admit. The title of this thread sounds about as dirty as you can get. Lol.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
one of the internet polish suggestions was blue something. The other was Simichrome. I've used that before, don't know that it's better or worse than other polishes. And I think I'd suggest using a stand mounted grinder with a buffing wheel, instead of doing it by hand. Have you tried contacting Gibson? Maybe they have some suggestions.

OP
OP
5.9Magnum

5.9Magnum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum v8
Gibson warranty stated that they aren't responsible for rust/ discoloration. I would have to send it to them for them to check if there was anything wrong with the metal and wait to get it back. didn't sound too appealing to me lol I think ill try this and let everyone know how it goes. I also agree a buffer sounds better than by hand. Might be a few days till I am able to get it done but ill post pics for anyone interested. And I thought the title was pretty funny if I do say so myself haha

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea that guy takes off some tough lookin stuff in the YouTube video with that blue job. I'd def recommend using the orbital sander like he does in the video also.