4 Wire Trailer Connector Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Intermittently, I would lose brake/LH turn light on my boat trailers. A shot of good ol' WD40 would restore function.

Today I decided to get serious. I hit each connector pin on the truck side connector with some red De-Oxit contact cleaner. I swabbed out each pin with a cotton swab. The swabs came out nasty coal black.

I would say there was some corrosion and grime in there. :)

Time will tell how long this "fix" will last. I've had a lot of good luck with De-Oxit on low voltage connections in the past though. What I like about it is that it cleans, protects and lubes electrical contacts.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah for whatever reason 4-wire connections tend to get grubby, even with a cover/cap over them. Not entirely sure why but 7-way rounds tend to hold up better over the long term. I've converted many 4-wire connections to 7-rounds in the past because I'm not overly fond of adapters and even with them 4-way flats tend to crap out.

It's been a long time since I've had a trailer with a 4-flat though. Anymore everything I have is big enough to need brakes, which means either a 5-flat for surge brakes (which I'll convert when it goes bad, it currently has an adapter to 7-round) or a 7-round these days.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also use a good electrical contact cleaner along with trailer connector cleaning tools from IPA.

1698407688389.jpeg

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I also use a good electrical contact cleaner along with trailer connector cleaning tools from IPA.

View attachment 530778
I saw those but the Amazon reviews kind of put me off. Cotton swabs and 17 caliber bore brushes work for me. Along with the wonderful De-Oxit stuff.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I used to use TV tuner cleaner back when TV tuners still existed.

But back then, we had to walk uphill through **** carpet to change the channel...In both directions, mind you.