dog odor and hair in carpet...best way to eliminate???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdierks20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a used 2013 1500 crew cab (back seats folded up and floor folded out) that the previous owner had used as a dog kennel...lol...the odor and hair on the carpet covered fold-out was pretty bad at first...I vaccumed as much hair out as I could, then used duct tape and a couple of lint rollers to get as much hair as I could. I then used a carpet shampooer and went over it three times. It still smells, any advice on what other treatments??

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Thats a tough one! The odor likely has penetrated some of the seating surfaces... with a smell like that its not just the direct contact surfaces that hold the odor, but everything. The foam in the seats, the headliner, everything is going to suck in some of the smell.

Make sure you take some time to clean all the surfaces, even those the dogs wouldn't have been on, thoroughly. Not sure if dodge equips the Ram with a cabin air filter, but if it does change that out as well.

One option for deodorizing is to sprinkle baking soda generously on all the carpets. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then shop vac it out. The BS will absorb unwanted odors from the fibers.

If that doesn't solve it you may have to look into renting an ozone generator (air scrubber) or there are a few 'odor bombs' on the market that you set off like a bug bomb in the cab with the windows up. They can be fairly effective.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might try a couple of "Bounce" drier sheets in the back seat area. They probably won't do the job by themselves but maybe in total the things you have tried plus these will help. Some of the "air freshners" sold in the parts stores are really really strong, so maybe a couple of those will help also.
Jay

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Buy a gallon of OdoBan and pour in a spray bottle for easy application. Spray generously, may take several applications. Let first application dry before spraying again. Can be purchased at Sams, Walmart and some Ace Hardwares and Home Depots.
I've been using OdoBan for 15 years now with zero failure rate. Do a search online for reviews

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Febreeze?

Also consider air cabin filter mod with recirc air setting...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

tstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the same boat, although my smell wasn't that bad. Try lightly misting white vinegar all over the cabin with a spray bottle. Worked for me...

Tim

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a good tip another is leave some charcoal in it.