fixable..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
so my paint isn't in that bad of condition except on the top of the cab, and the hood has it bad. the spots look like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340673250.987773.jpg

my question is, can I repair it?

I was gonna go at it with a
clay->compound->polish->glaze->sealant->wax approach but I'm not sure if these spots are fixable...

Tapatalk Addict

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, if its through the clear, you can't fix that, without reclearing it.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Not sure what the base is but you may be able to have it sanded and recleared

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
so..you guys think it would be a better investment to just get a new paint job..maybe a cheap mayco one or something and just take good care of it?

because the materials/porter cable I was planning on getting to correct the paint was gonna be nearly 300 bucks.

obviously, my dad really neglected the paint while he had it.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
maaco SUCKS. the prep is key, followed by good product.......they do both ******

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's a sand, prep and reclear job. Leave it be unless you plan on keeping the truck.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I am planning on keeping the truck through college and probley will keep it in my family since my dad was the original owner, and handed it down to me.

So thats why I am so intent on fixing it up in every way, cuz I plan on keeping it forever basically.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't believe you will need it all repainted
How does the rest of the body look?
If the base seems to be fine then you can have the roof and hood just recleared, you shouldnt have to have black shot again(worst case they could blend it and reclear) and luckily you have areas that can be taped off without visible lines

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I can get pics tomorrow of all panels so everyone can make a better judgement (dark now). The entire right side of the truck was actually completely repainted and looks amazing, (got swiped by a **** in a parking lot). The rest of the trucks paint is faded but def repairable, no oxidation. just a few nicks and scratches. The hood has prob 7 spots where there is oxidation, the pic I posted is prob the worst case. Then the top of the cab. Only bad spots.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem. I originally had spots on the top of the cab, now theyve gotten bigger. Just recently Ive found a couple spots popping up on my hood....

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I think I have them on my hood from engine heat...the stock Hoodliner is ****** up bad. I can't decide what route to take to fix this ****

Tapatalk Addict

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maaco quality depends GREATLY on the MAACO shop you chose. I know 2 prople today who have MAACO jobs and they are holding up great. One of our club members in North Carolina had MAACO do his Gen2...complete respray with a single stage, had it done last year for less than $500 and still looks brand new to this day. Another club member, Kevin, had his 02 Ram custom painted at a MAACO down here and it still looks good, enough so to win awards in shows. So don't totally disregard MAACO jobs, just look into the MAACO shop doing it real well.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, I had the same clear coat problems on my Gen2 as well...it got so bad water would seep between the clear and color and blister and I would have to go puncture the blisters to the water would get out...it sucked.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
damn...iv had a few people tell me I can get all the flaking off with a aggressive clay and then correct the paint with compounds and **** but I don't wanna spend 300 and then it not work...decisions decisions..

If I did get new paint I would prob look a shop up that had the highest score on the BBB website

Tapatalk Addict

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
damn...iv had a few people tell me I can get all the flaking off with a aggressive clay and then correct the paint with compounds and **** but I don't wanna spend 300 and then it not work...decisions decisions..

Hmmmm thats got me thinking, its either that, I try and re clear the spots myself, or I deal with it for a long time until I can afford a new paint job...