Holy Fallout!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knucklehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I washed the truck good, then broke out the wax for the first time. Put on a coat on about 1/4 of the Hood. I started buffing it off with the trusty micro-fiber towel and started noticing little dots all over. I ran my bare hand over the Hood and felt all the **** attached to my paint, environmental fallout. Now on my way to pick up clay bars, anyone got any tips for this? Just clay bar the truck first then wax it? I'm using turtle wax cleaner wax BTW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't press hard with the clay or else you will have little scratches every where.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Make sure you spray the clay bar and area with water or what ever your using very often

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
All of the above, and you can use a cheap sandwich baggie, place your hand inside the bag and gently run your hand across the paint. The baggie increases your sense of touch. This will make it easier to tell were you have and have not been. Work small areas and keep the bar wet. Rinsing your bar in warm water will make it more pliable and if you agitate the clays surface while rinsing some of the removed contaminates will wash off, improving the longevity of the clay. Clay can be used on paint, plastic, and glass.
Give her hell. ;)

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Everyone else has it covered so I'll just add: Don't be surprised if as you start claybarring an area you start seeing more dots come to the surface. Just keep it good and wet and keep going over it and you will eventually get it all. It takes a while and it a lot of work but the paint looks and feels so nice when you get it done. And make sure you put a good coat of wax on it afterwards because you are stripping it all off with the claybar.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I clay bar'd my truck within a week of taking delivery of it. I was amazed at how nasty it was 'factory fresh' I really need to hit it again now that winter is over. *sigh*

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---I would put a good sealant on your truck before you wax it(maybe Wolfgang 3.0) The reason I recommend a sealant is because they last about 6-8 months depending on conditions you drive in ect etc, whereas wax will only last about 60-90 days at most. You can always put a coat of wax over the sealant for more "pop". Your paint will be protected better and you won't have to wax it as often. Once you have your sealant and wax done, all you have to do is wash and use a spray detailer inbetween waxes.
Jay

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
im going to also add, dont just use water when you clay, use a quick detailer or a mist n shine type product. you need to use something that will lubricate the surface, not just make it wet. also, ive found that if you cut the claybar into 4 smaller pieces it will last longer, especially if you end up dropping it, once you drop it THRW IT AWAY! do NOT ever EVER use a clay bar thats been dropped on the ground! as said before, all you need to do is lightly and quickly go over the surface of the paint, no need to use heavy pressure and no need to continually go over the same area once its cleaned.

heres a couple vids that will explain it better

How to Clay Bar - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4&feature=relmfu (pt 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM&feature=relmfu (pt 2)

Last edited:

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^What these guys said. I used one for the first time last year and was amazed at the difference it made. One of these weekends it'll actually be decent enough out for me to clay bar the new truck. I hope...