nervous

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
front left corner of my bumper has had the paint rubbed off down to the plastic for a wile and it drives me nuts, how hard it it to color match with spray paint and clear coat?

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
To get a perfect match you'd probably have to sand down the whole bumper then spray it with a gun. If you just spray it with a rattle can like I did on my door it'll look like crap and you'll want to redo it.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah when it comes to body work the more work you put in, normally the better the result you will get... Good luck!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It is next to impossible to get a perfect match on plastic unless you start from scratch. According to the body shops that I have talked to that if you have a plastic bumper don't bother trying to touch it up it will never match. And repainting is supposedly just as hard because plastic will absorb the paint unlike metal. But that is what I heard. I say if it is a small area go to your local parts store and get some of the duplicolor scratch fixer. The colors are usually almost exact. I use primer myself first then paint but you may be able to get away with just paint.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
see if you have a local "quick paint" type place. When I worked for a dealer these fellas would come in and fix little scrapes all the time. Did it in the parking lot too.

If I were to do it, I'd nab a can of paint, a few scotchbrites and a couple cans of this awesome freakin' clear coat:

14525.gif

That clear is about 20 bucks a can, but holy SHIIIIIIT its awesome.

Lightly scuff the area, clean with alcohol prepped wipes, and go to town. You will need to "blend" the paint, which would be tough as **** with a spray bomb (you can't thin it down). But, you may be able to feather it? Who knows.......never tried that. Then clear the entire bumper. Wetsand and buff. Yum.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is next to impossible to get a perfect match on plastic unless you start from scratch. According to the body shops that I have talked to that if you have a plastic bumper don't bother trying to touch it up it will never match. And repainting is supposedly just as hard because plastic will absorb the paint unlike metal. But that is what I heard. I say if it is a small area go to your local parts store and get some of the duplicolor scratch fixer. The colors are usually almost exact. I use primer myself first then paint but you may be able to get away with just paint.

+1, my neighbor 2 houses down has a paint booth in his garage. If he does anything plastic, he strips it all the way down and sprays the whole thing. Body guys are perfectionists.