New truck with rock chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Laramie 4x4 crew 8' dually
Hello All,
Well I ordered a Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 8' box dually from factory and received it here about a month ago, I noticed a problem at the dealership, first i saw little strings all over the side and then it started to pop out at me - rock chips all down the drivers side and a few on passenger side, windows and mirror, all rock chips,they or some one had tried to buff them out leaving little buffing pad strings all over it stuck in the raised paint from the rock chips,,,,I received a paper stating paint and glass problem from dealer,well now i have an estimate from another ram location auto body place for over $2500.00 because the only correct way of fixing it is to repaint it, i took it back and was asked,what do you want to do- paint it or spot touch up, I said that i want it done right,,,,, dealer said they would have it painted, 3 days latter i called to get auto body shop name and was told the sales manager decided to touch it up paint and that Chrysler wont do any thing because it is not a paint defect, it was shipped to me in this condition as far as i know it happened at Satilo Mexico assembly plant parking lot,,it is rock,,i looked at it with sat. view, pretty cool actually. Dealer said they are done with it.
My question is how can i preserve it from rust because i live right on the west coast of Oregon next to the beach, until i can get the money together to have the paint fixed? about 6 - 9 months or more.

I have pdf of paint estimate and pdf of dealer paper given to me at time of pick up. didn't know how to post them

Attachments

• IMAG0579.jpg
    IMAG0579.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG0582.jpg
    IMAG0582.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMAG0584.jpg
    IMAG0584.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0585.jpg
    IMAG0585.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
lawyer. thats ********, you ordered it and it came in damaged. it should be fixed, period.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy Carp!!! This is so wrong it's irritating to me.

My truck came with a ding in the tailgate. I'm still kicking around with the dealership to have it repaired. They've agreed to do so and have an estimate... they're just dragging their feet as I've learned dealerships do.

I think at this point I would allow them to perform the repair work they state will work best (touch up is truly better as it's very difficult to get a paint job better than factory), carefully inspect the work before accepting the truck back, and ask for a warranty on the work that is equal to the factory warranty.

I'd use a "friendly" yet unyielding approach to start - everyone's on the same team... we essentially want the same thing and I'm willing to work with you to make us all happy.

Good luck with this: Keep us posted.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
any issues with a new truck with in the warranty it goes back to the dealer. I wouldnt pay alot of money for a vehicle and not make them fix it

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any issues with a new truck with in the warranty it goes back to the dealer. I wouldnt pay alot of money for a vehicle and not make them fix it

Yes - regardless of where the damage happened - it's on the dealer now... Chrysler doesn't owe them anything and if they do, it's not the buyers concern.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
if it got chipped by driving the truck they wont cover the fix. Then I bring it somewhere better. I only go to the dealer for covered stuff. They fixed my roof but if it was normal wear/tear i'd go somewhere else

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if it got chipped by driving the truck they wont cover the fix. Then I bring it somewhere better. I only go to the dealer for covered stuff. They fixed my roof but if it was normal wear/tear i'd go somewhere else

I thought it was chipped prior to delivery to the customer?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i would get a lawyer and make them repaint the whoe truck since it was damaged before you ever got it

KozzyJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if i cant chipped when you took delivery you should not have taken it. But if you cant live with the stone chips i would get it painted. bare in mind no paint is as good as factory paint. but i feel ya on the stone chips new truck OCD is a must.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've read a lot about this and one good point made was that although the manufacturer has no control over where you drive (potentially putting your finish at risk - their out for not honoring a warranty) having it chip so quickly in normal driving indicates a quality of workmanship and materials issue.

This has to be proven, of course, in order for the consumer to receive warranty consideration.

Others have had to lawyer up, however, in some cases the claim was denied as the consumer did NOT follow the process established to secure warranty through the manufacturer.

So before you lawyer up, work with the dealer and customer care through all the steps required. Document each step, conversation and result. Showing that the dealer said they would repaint the truck, then decided to do a spot repair without consultation with the consumer is an excellent example of things to document.

scott2488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Myself, i wouldnt have taken delivery of it when i saw tha If they wont take care of it then get a lawyer and take it that way. Could come out ahead if you do this.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can lawyer up all you want but I assure you Chrysler has 1000 to your 1. Once you take delivery you are screwed. Sorry man.

scott2488

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can lawyer up all you want but I assure you Chrysler has 1000 to your 1. Once you take delivery you are screwed. Sorry man.

Doesnt matter, my dad took on Ford because his Sport trac was in the shop more then not, Judge said Ford had to pay off the thing and take it back and scrap it. THe big 3 cant get away with screwing over the consumer!

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would be filing complaints with RAM on their website and also through the Better Business Bureau. Take all avenues and show them that you just aren't going to lay down and let this happen. I had brake noise on my 2011 at 15k miles. The dealership told me to live with it, and after complaining to RAM they told the dealership to put all new brakes on all the way around. Keep on them, don't let them drag it out. If RAM and the BBB goes nowhere then lawyer up.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
From experience this is what I would do, Keep a log of all your conversations.
Get with the dealers service manager and get the phone number for chrysler customer complaint dept. and file a complaint. They will issue you a rep who may be able to help resolve your issue. (I can gurantee this will waste 2 months of your life)

However if you are ready to "lawyer up" I will pm you info that can get you started. Normally from my experience lemon law attorneys charge $1500 just to file. Not including arbitration fees. My case is still in process so I can't vouch for this company, but it may be a inexpensive option.

My thoughts are that they will have to repair it.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would be filing complaints with RAM on their website and also through the Better Business Bureau. Take all avenues and show them that you just aren't going to lay down and let this happen. I had brake noise on my 2011 at 15k miles. The dealership told me to live with it, and after complaining to RAM they told the dealership to put all new brakes on all the way around. Keep on them, don't let them drag it out. If RAM and the BBB goes nowhere then lawyer up.

As far as the BBB goes, if the dealership is not a member of the BBB you might as well roll that complaint up and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Thats what they did with my complaint. Although it could count as a negative complaint against them in the future. But seriously how many of us check before we jump in. Only good thing that came out of my BBB complaint was that I was a Pain in their ASSES for a few days.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As far as the BBB goes, if the dealership is not a member of the BBB you might as well roll that complaint up and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Thats what they did with my complaint. Although it could count as a negative complaint against them in the future. But seriously how many of us check before we jump in. Only good thing that came out of my BBB complaint was that I was a Pain in their ASSES for a few days.

The FCM on my 2006 Dakota went out and a complaint to the BBB got me a check for $650. It does work sometimes.