Polish/Swirl/scratch remover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to get ready to detail my truck. I bought it used and the previous owner looks like they never washed it properly. Light scratches and swirls across the truck. Nothing deep except a few rock chips.

Anyways I plan on Clay/Polish/Seal/Wax. I have never used a Polish before so this is kind of new to me. When I look at Meguiars products they have Scratch Removers, Swirl Removers, and Polish. I think I only need the 205 Polish but any input you guys could provide would be appreciated!

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you lightly guide your fingernail over any scratch, if your fingernail doesn't catch it, you'll be able to take it out during your paint correction. If you check my thread in my signature, you can see what products I've used. But Megs M101/ M205 with Orange and White pads, you'll be able to make that truck shine again. Everyone does it a little bit differently and most people won't use the same line of products. Find what works best for your budget and ability!

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Great question.....First off do you have a machine polisher?
All of our machine polishers & our Paint Correcting Polish hooked up with our Gen5 pads will safely remove your swirls & scratches
Check out this video!

Adam's Instructional Videos | Detailing Tips

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you lightly guide your fingernail over any scratch, if your fingernail doesn't catch it, you'll be able to take it out during your paint correction. If you check my thread in my signature, you can see what products I've used. But Megs M101/ M205 with Orange and White pads, you'll be able to make that truck shine again. Everyone does it a little bit differently and most people won't use the same line of products. Find what works best for your budget and ability!

Almost all you can't "feel" and can only really be seen when it is Sunny out. I saw your thread and you did an awesome job. The M205 is less abrasive, correct? Do I just buy any orange or any white pads?

Sorry kind of a newb to this stuff. I've always wanted to learn but have never taken the time.

OP
OP
A

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of our machine polishers & our Paint Correcting Polish hooked up with our Gen5 pads will safely remove your swirls & scratches
Check out this video!

$370 for a polisher is a bit out of my price range. Could I seal after using the plaint correcting polish, or do I need to use a different process after that?

EDIT: Reading>Me, looks like I need the second polish as well.

Last edited:

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost all you can't "feel" and can only really be seen when it is Sunny out. I saw your thread and you did an awesome job. The M205 is less abrasive, correct? Do I just buy any orange or any white pads?

Sorry kind of a newb to this stuff. I've always wanted to learn but have never taken the time.

205 is less aggressive and is more for polishing. You can use this with an orange or white pad. I would go with the following.

Orange pad with Megs M101 or what cutting compound of choice.
White pad with Megs M205 or polishing compound of choice.
Red pad to apply any sort of sealant.
Black pad for applying liquid wax.

You can get a sealant that doubles as a wax, but just depends on what you choose. Colinite is a great product for the price.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need, no question is out of line. But you'll get different answers from most of us!:buffer:

ghamden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mcgwyers has a scratch remover that works on mils scratches

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out this video!

I would love nothing more than to buy an Adams polisher as well as more of Adams stuff without going through ebay and paying a little cheaper prices. However, Adam's machine polishers are just way to expensive when a porter cable 7424 can achieve the exact same results and cost you 2/3 the money. Also I can buy the backing plates for a porter cable right from adams.

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Interested. . .

I bought a 2014 Ram Express from carmax with 15k miles. I believe the finish was probably perfect or close to it. However, somebody thought they needed to polish it and there were swirl marks all over the Max Steel finish (PAR paint code) Checked the truck during the daylight, all was good. I took delivery after the sun went down. A week later, I took it back, when they returned it too me they were so proud, they moved the swirls around. I remember seeing cars that once upon a time that really looked nice. however, the owners had polished the finish completely off. In two years I do not want to have that problem that my truck needs to be repainted. At this point the entire OEM finish has been polished by one or two idiots. I have no idea how much clear coat is left. I say OEM finish because there is no tell tail signs of repairs and CarFax was clear.
I do not have a buffer, really don't want to use one. I'm scared to death of burning through the clear coat. I went to a custom shop, asking for a bid to fix it. They refused. Can I use a Meguiar's or Turtle wax scratch remover to hand polish the truck hopefully getting rid of the swirls that cover this truck? Or at least reduce the effect? Should I try to get a shop to shoot a couple coats of clear over it so there is enough to polish?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless someone has color sanded and compounded your truck's finish I doubt if you have anything to worry about IF you use a orbital buffer(Porter Cable). You can try to remove the swirls by hand but you are looking at a huge undertaking. It is so much easier using a orbital buffer. Listen to Tipnitty--he knows his stuff and has the pictures to prove it. He has tried all sorts of products and knows what works the best in different situations. You can trust him!!!!!!
Jay

Last edited:

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2014 Ram Express from carmax with 15k miles. I believe the finish was probably perfect or close to it. However, somebody thought they needed to polish it and there were swirl marks all over the Max Steel finish (PAR paint code) Checked the truck during the daylight, all was good. I took delivery after the sun went down. A week later, I took it back, when they returned it too me they were so proud, they moved the swirls around. I remember seeing cars that once upon a time that really looked nice. however, the owners had polished the finish completely off. In two years I do not want to have that problem that my truck needs to be repainted. At this point the entire OEM finish has been polished by one or two idiots. I have no idea how much clear coat is left. I say OEM finish because there is no tell tail signs of repairs and CarFax was clear.
I do not have a buffer, really don't want to use one. I'm scared to death of burning through the clear coat. I went to a custom shop, asking for a bid to fix it. They refused. Can I use a Meguiar's or Turtle wax scratch remover to hand polish the truck hopefully getting rid of the swirls that cover this truck? Or at least reduce the effect? Should I try to get a shop to shoot a couple coats of clear over it so there is enough to polish?

If you REALLY wanted to know how much clear coat is remaining, you'll need to purchase a gauge to measure. It's pretty tough to tell exactly how much clear coat is left just by sight, but those gauges are pricey. A professional detailer should have a gauge and would be able to give you an idea. To be honest, I would like to think that you would be fine.

As far as far as repairing the damage to your truck, you have a few different routes to take.

1. You could use hand products to try and remove swirling. That would be immensely tiring and I couldn't imagine doing a single panel, much less an entire vehicle by hand.

2. You could buy yourself a cheap orbital, decent pads and compounds. Rough estimate would be ~$100 for some basic necessities depending on what brand you decided to go with. Do your research, don't be afraid! Watch videos, read threads and ASK QUESTIONS!

3. Take it to a detailer. You'll be looking around $300-$400, depending on where you are located, for a professional. But that would depend on how much work you would want done. Correction with sealant and wax? What level of sealant and wax? Depends on the detailer really. I'm no professional, but for a truck like ours, I'll start around ~$200 for a correction alone. That's a proper wash, claybar, single stage compounding and a basic wax. Just to give you an idea.

Remember, no matter how well you take care of your paint, swirling WILL return. Something as simple as incorrectly washing the truck, the scratches will be back! That's why I recommend getting yourself some basics and trying it yourself first. Give it a shot, you'll see results and you'll be thrilled! When the swirls come back, break out the products and take care of them again. If it's something you enjoy, upgrade your products when funds allow and keep seeing better results! On the other hand, if you don't like it, you don't have too much invested in this. I'm sure you could sell the orbital and supplies to another beginner. You gave it a shot.

Thanks for the compliment Jay!

amocoharley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
205 is less aggressive and is more for polishing. You can use this with an orange or white pad. I would go with the following.

Orange pad with Megs M101 or what cutting compound of choice.
White pad with Megs M205 or polishing compound of choice.
Red pad to apply any sort of sealant.
Black pad for applying liquid wax.

You can get a sealant that doubles as a wax, but just depends on what you choose. Colinite is a great product for the price.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need, no question is out of line. But you'll get different answers from most of us!:buffer:

This is good advice . Also for minor work and sealant I'd recommend a harbor freight buffer. Unless you're buffing for a living it won't make much of a difference. Personally I've always used makita 9227c 's