Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Detailing

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

Detailing

Question on clay

This is a discussion on Question on clay within the Detailing forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
Come spring I really want to detail my truck. With that I want to clay but have three questions on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7
Default Question on clay
Come spring I really want to detail my truck. With that I want to clay but have three questions on clay.

1- I see there are different grades of clay, I have never clause this truck the 3 years I have owned it. What grade would I get?

2- I see there is clay and also clay mitts, recommend either or for first timer?

3- I have pin stripe on my truck, nonpainted kind, do I not go over that with clay?

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

EWC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: Hemi 5.7
A standard clay should do you fine, mothers, megs who ever. After you clay you will usually need to polish. The clay mitt you see is probably a nanoskin type product. I use a nano skin towel for my work, I also have a disk that goes on my DA polisher to use as a substitute as well. The other products are more expensive, however in my use they are WAY WAY I can't say it enough, WAY faster. I can do most any car/truck with the towel in about 20-30 minutes. In that time you might clay your hood with a clay bar.

You should be fine with the pin stripe, I have used my towel over them with no issue. Just get close with the clay if you're worried.
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yea the two types of clay mitts I've seen are offered from autogeek and chemical guys. What products are you referring to are way faster?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 2011 Ram Express
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
I used the Mothesr Clay Bar kit, worked out awesome, and really easy!

2011 White Ram Express, ,Extang Trifecta, Belltech 2/4 drop, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, Retroshop 2013 Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, Retro-Solutions reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats, Hellwig front and rear swaybars
Graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
I've tried 3 different OTC clays, and Mothers was the worst by far. I preferred Griots or Blue Magic way over Mothers. Mothers was real picky with lube. Since it's your first time, just buy an OTC kit. I wouldn't go crazy harsh. You could do more harm than good.

TRADED: '12 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 Hemi in Sagebrush: Mossy Oak Package, Truxedo LoProQT, 20% tint, S&B Intake, 22" Magnaflow, Go Rhino 5" Oval Bars, bed mat + Mopar BedRug, EZ Down, Morel Tempos, Bravox 10" sub, AudioControl LC6i, JBL amp.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Make sure you use a good lubricant! Be very liberal with the spray wax or whatever method you're using. One other tip that might be useful is to keep some hot water in a cup close by. You want to re-shape the clay about every panel (depending on how much gunk you picking up). Dropping the clay in some warm water makes the clay much easier to kneed and it helps keep it lubricated. Sorry if you know this, but if you didn't this should help! If you want a good quality clay bar, that will last you for many clay sessions, Adams Polishes makes a great clay bar http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-1004-...-clay-bar.aspx
..and for your lubricant, use Adams Detail Spray
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-870-a...w-formula.aspx
This might be a little more than you are willing to spend, but these products are top notch, and you don't want to run the risk of marring your paint with some cheap lubricant.

-2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi-
FancyStancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
I have never used the mitt type product, I use the speedy surface prep fine grade towel: Speedy Surface Prep Towel, speedy prep towel, clay towel, sm arnold clay towel, clay bar towel

I also have this for my DA unit: Nanoskin Autoscrub System Start Up Kit

The speedy prep is faster than clay, not sure about the mitt, I know many people use it, I just don't want to use something I wash my car with to decontaminate the paint. As for clay, up until a few weeks ago there was a patent and all clay came from the same supplier.
parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by FancyStancy View Post
Make sure you use a good lubricant! Be very liberal with the spray wax or whatever method you're using. One other tip that might be useful is to keep some hot water in a cup close by. You want to re-shape the clay about every panel (depending on how much gunk you picking up). Dropping the clay in some warm water makes the clay much easier to kneed and it helps keep it lubricated. Sorry if you know this, but if you didn't this should help! If you want a good quality clay bar, that will last you for many clay sessions, Adams Polishes makes a great clay bar Clay Bars | Clay Bar Detailing | Auto Detail Products
..and for your lubricant, use Adams Detail Spray
Best Detail Spray | Quick Detailer | Car Detailing Supply
This might be a little more than you are willing to spend, but these products are top notch, and you don't want to run the risk of marring your paint with some cheap lubricant.
Not at all over budget, honestly I don't know what clay and stuff go for, I just know the good ole saying "you get what you pay for" so I am always willing to pay extra for a premium.

I am very nervous doing it since it's my first time. Anyone have any pointers?
Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
Not at all over budget, honestly I don't know what clay and stuff go for, I just know the good ole saying "you get what you pay for" so I am always willing to pay extra for a premium.

I am very nervous doing it since it's my first time. Anyone have any pointers?
Hopefully this linkage is ok, mods if not, please remove it.

I am interesting in claying my truck and pretty much everything from start to finish but being in apartment complex pretty much makes this impossible.

However, I've run across this website before and shows how to clay bar.

Maybe other users here will give better/different tips?
Sparkyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Originally Posted by Sparkyy View Post
Hopefully this linkage is ok, mods if not, please remove it.

I am interesting in claying my truck and pretty much everything from start to finish but being in apartment complex pretty much makes this impossible.

However, I've run across this website before and shows how to clay bar.

Maybe other users here will give better/different tips?
Very good info on the link you provided. Claying is fairly straight forward, take your time, make sure you use lots of spray lubricant and try your hardest not to drop your clay on the ground.
scottyram is offline   Reply With Quote